Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those brass things on strings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Hi guys, I um, I have to ask if anyone who goes through lots of strings could send me those brass things on the end of the strings, I would be most thankful.
    I am collecting them and I rarely change my strings! I know this is weird, but then again, I am a bass player!!! :hyper:
    I will pay for shipping too.
    PM me please.
    Thanks

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    this should be in the strings forum!!!! :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're called "balls."

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    or barrels, depending.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What are you making a necklace or something?

7. yeah, a bracelet and necklace, but I want to make it a double loop.
    I am also toying with the idea to have a bass clef made from silver to hang from the necklace!
    I will post this message in the strings section too - thanks for the hints :)

8. this reminds me of the story that was just in the news.... some guy spent the last thirty years collecting pennies. he's up to one million pennies. it started as a bet with his brother. except his brother doesn't remember making the bet, and won't pay up. on top of that, the guy can't get a bank to take his change.... so he's stuck with four tons of pennies in his garage.

i don't know why this reminds me of that.... or why i bothered posting this. probably due to lack of coffee.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The bank won't take them if he rolls them up?

He could go to one of those Coinstar machines. :D

10. they charge thirty percent. nobody wants $10,000 in pennies. NOBODY.

11. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    They charge 7% I believe. I would exchange 1,000,000 pennies to the bank for that guy if I got 7% and expecially 30% of the cost ($3,000! Thats a Nordstrand in my language :hyper: ).

12. A bank would accept them...if he did it in certain amounts, over time. Just a thought.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im makin a bracelet of em...slowly. Im not asking other people for em, and ive been changing my strings less often now, so its a slow process, but im not in a rush.

14. Hey figjam, I change my strings every 2 years or more as I hate the new string sound on my Jazz, so at that rate, I will not have enough even after I die! However, that was my original intention - I thought it would be a matter of pride if they were from my own bass, but I am past that now :bawl:

15. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

Simple solution, buy more basses. 7 & 8 strings will work better.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Better solution: buy more headless basses. They have twice the balls than other basses.

Why don't you contact a string manufacturer and have them sell you a bag?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i went through one set on my Hohner before *sniff* i sold it. So theres 8. I have like only 20 so far or so.

18. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    While I was on tour last year I changed strings every 2 shows. By the end of the tour I'd gone through about 40 sets. I still have all of the balls but I'm planning on giving them to my brother who wants to do something similar to your idea. Just get a string endorsement. Everybody and their dog has a string endorsement.

19. I don't. Or my dog. :(

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Please pass my sympathies along to your dog.