1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Those building ERBs (+6); where do you get FB radius sanding blocks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by octaedro7, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I wonder where you guys get radius sanding blocks wide enough to work on wide FBs, at least capable of handling 4" width. I got some stewmac´s and they are not wide enough to handle even a fiver...
    BTW: 16" and 20" would work.
    Input appreciated.

2. I guess you should (or could) fabricate your own... I haven't found any block wider than 3"

I also thought of making my own. I already made a sandwich of two pieces of hard maple, about the size of a sanding block. I would have made a fixture so I could slide it up and down (while it's positioned vertically), and I would've made a pendule of my router. If that makes any sense... :rolleyes:

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yep, you can make your own with plywood or mdf or even solid stock by doing a compass plate for your router, just a long narrow isosceles triangle the width of the router on 1 end coming to a narrow point on the other. Mount the router in the wide end, and drill 1/4" pivot holes at 32" and 40" from the top outer edge of the chosen bit to get a 16 and 20" radius, you may want to look at making 24" or 26" for an ERB as 16 and 20 will require an extra thick fretboard for anything above 6

4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
  5. thanks for the input guys. Yeah, Koch's book shows how to build blocks with plywood but I'm not convinced that the effort will yield good results. I also saw what you JC are describing, a guy from a telecaster forum, really ingenious when it comes to building jigs (I'm writing this with my phone, otherwise I'd put here the link), basically is building the block in slices, archiving the concave face by means of a router compass jig. What it's not clear to me (although I have some ideas on how to make it work) is how to glue them together while keeping an even concave surface. After all, if it's not even I don't have a way to sand it, that's why I'm building the block in the first place.

Btw: thanks JC, I didn't think about the fb thickness when going 20"

Ibridestine I'd appreciate those measures

6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    The block is 4" wide, but the radiused part is 3.5"

They make 2 different lengths and I got the shorter one, so I don't know if they do different widths with the longer ones or not.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    No prob Octodero, shoot me a pm if you have a width you need, may be able to help ya out

8. thanks
    thanks again JC, will do so :D