1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Those D'addario pick strobe tuners actually work!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 2, 2007.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I bought 3 twin-packs of D'addario XL's, and they came with these little pick shaped tuners. They looked like a joke to me, but I tried one and it actually works and works great!

You turn the dial to the note you want to tune to, pick the note, and hold the lights inside it on the 12th fret. The lights will strobe until you get in tune. Sounds cheesy, I know, but it tunes. It only tunes to fixed pitches B, E, A, D, G, C, so if you tune down you're on your own for an F, but it'll tune a 6 string to standard tuning, and it works on guitars, too. I was actually impressed. It's a good little quick and dirty tuner. A bit too fussy to use onstage, but great for the hotel room.

2. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I don't like the idea of you needing to touch the string with it. But it does sound very cool.

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I don't touch my strings with it. I pluck with my thumb, and hold the tuner above the strings at the 12th fret.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I also use them and yes, they work great.
    I originally got mine free with strings but lost it. you can get them off ebay very cheap.
    Just wish i didnt keep losing mine