those darn guitar players

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 20, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My band is great. No, not that way, although that may be true too. I'm exceedingly fortunately to be working with a great bunch of people. We've been playing together for almost twelve years now, the same group of people. There's a good chemistry and a good vibe, and everyone loves what they're doing. And, we goof around a lot. We noodle around during breaks between songs at practice, that kind of thing. The guitar player will start into something, then someone else will pick it up, and pretty soon we'll jam our way into writing a new song. And once in a while we get into these shredfests, where we'll try our best to outdo each other.

So not too long ago the drummer and I were working out this banter we could do on stage, where I mimic his tom rolls with a left hand slap thing, and the guitar player walks into our little rehearsal, and he's got this sh*t-eatin' grin on his face, and he looks at me and says "what, you think you're Billy Cobham?" And after further dialog, one thing led to another, with the eventual result that we made a bet about whether a bass player could play his bass as fast as a drummer can play his drums.

The drummer doesn't want any part of this. He didn't want to wade in these waters, he's just sitting on the sidelines watching the progress of this heated debate. :)

Well, so now I've been able to show my guitar player three different ways a bass player can do this and still be melodic, and the arrogant bastard doesn't want to pay up. He's demanding objective proof from a timekeeping device. Oy.

Those darn guitar players. What's to be done about them? They think that just because a bass player likes to keep a good groove, he can't do anything else.

I feel like demanding a bass solo during one of our tunes, just to spite this guy. :)
  2. It's still got to feel good showing him up :D.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    This isn't the reason you are thinking of getting a super custom bass built for fast slapping is it? Just to show up your guitar player? :confused:

Why do you care to show him up, like you said, you have known the bandmembers for 12 years; don't let something as silly as who can solo the fastest come between a good group of friends.

Super fast bass playing just makes most bassists sound like frustrated guitarists to me. *cough* Sheehan *cough* :D

Instead of breaking speed records on the bass, worry about melody and groove. If the bassist isn't holding the music together because he is trying to up stage the guitarist, then the music probably will suffer.

Just let it go, music should not be a competition, as you know.

Just my opinions, take them with a grain of salt.
  4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi abark000, no, I wouldn't drop ten grand on a bass just to show up some guitar player (even if he's my friend). Yuk yuk. But the two pieces are related through this bet, that started me looking for clever techniques, and in the process of trying to figure out which techniques I could use to get the fastest sounds, I came up with some interesting stuff, and I've been working with my drummer to be able to use some of that stuff in a musical context. A bass is a very versatile instrument. Depending on how its played, as well as how it's set up. One can use techniques that only work with low action, just as there are sounds one can only get with high action. So far I don't know of a bass with variable action (I posted another thread about that in the setup forum), so basically we're stuck with having different basses for different purposes. Guitar players don't understand basses for the most part (or at least most of 'em don't, that's been my experience). Most of 'em are traditionalists, in the sense that they use picks to play shredding leads, that kind of thing, and occasionally you'll get an odd one like Jeff Beck who uses his fingernails, but for the most part guitar players aren't cognizant of how different an instrument a bass really is from a guitar. There's very little appreciation for what can actually be done with a bass. I still play shows once in a while, and it seems people love to be entertained by cool and unique bass and bass-and-drum antics. My drummer has triggers, so he can do melodic stuff too, and we're working on a cool composition where our roles are inverted (he's got the low end and I've got the rhythm). The drummer understands me a lot better than the guitar player does. He's probably closer to the groove thing. The guitar player's head is off in shred-land somewhere. Well, that's okay, I can speak that language too. :) I just think drummers and bass players have a more natural affinity than guitar players and bass players do, in terms of the way they think about the music. What do you think?
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Good I was hoping you weren't getting it for that reason, and I hope you find the one you are searching for.

Not my usual style of playing but more power to you, maybe you could invent a completely original style.
  6. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i totally agree non. if the rythm section sucks, the band sucks.
    i usually focus on the drums to make it really click and be solid as a ROCK!
    if there are problems it's mostly de gp's fault (volume pedals, fiddling about with effects, being waaaayyyy too loud). i just don't get it, i plug in, set my volume and i'm done. gp's take ages to set up and still manage to sound different each and every time. write it down fgs!
  7. Holy crap! Youve just described 95% of the guitarists Ive ever played with! That is frustrating as hell. The current guitarist Im working with is exceptionally bad about this, I told him I was gonna start bringing a freekin' BOOK to read while he putzes around...hahaha!
  8. its true, the bass player and the drummer should have an understanding. in the band that is just getting together we have two drummers (one is playing keyboard even though he is probably a better drummer). so far finding the guitarist is the hard bit. I’m at uni and every other person you meet "plays" guitar. iv played with a lot of them now, and i only get on with 3 of them. one is very pretty (and that really helps!) one is a mate of mine who is just learning so he just cant keep up with the band yet, and the other is a bass player (still better on a guitar than most of the others!) but he doesnt want to play guitar. what we're looking for (and you’d think this is a guitarists dream) is to lay a groove down and to have a nice solo or two over the top. the only other thing we want is simple chord progressions to give the singer the foreground and the band stay in the background on some songs. the amount of guys that have walked in and said "oh do you know so and so because i know the solo to that". or the other one is "are you guys in time with me!" oh boy did that piss me off :mad: !! ok ok sorry rant over.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think I agree! :cool:
  10. Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    i agree too
  11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oy. We had another good one last week. Here's a guy that shows up for an audition, plays great, and wants to join the band. Everything works out, we agree on the first ten songs we're going to learn, and then the guy disappears. Completely vanishes off the face of the earth. Doesn't answer e-mails or cell phone calls, doesn't respond to messages left with his family, just completely flakes out. What motivates people to do stuff like that? Those darn guitar players... First we went by his house (to see if maybe he'd been the victim of a terrorist nuke or something), and his car is there, but he doesn't answer the door. Then we call his work, and they say, "yes, he's here, but he's busy and can't talk right now". So the guy's definitely still alive and kicking, but it seems he doesn't want to play the guitar with us anymore. I don't understand people like that. Can't they even call and say, "I don't want to play guitar with you guys anymore"? I have no idea what might be up, maybe the guy's bipolar and he's in the middle of a manic phase? Maybe someone cut his tongue out? Who knows? And at this point, who cares? Those darn guitar players...