Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those fender blues...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Hey TBers,
    I'm feelin' blue because I've got the need to get my hands on the fender jazz tone :cool: , and that p bass tone too :D ... (not to mention the strat and tele I'm wanting :crying: ) being in australia where all things musical cost soooo much more, I'm far from being able to afford deluxe american models. What can you tell me about the MIM's and CIJ's... are they much worse? or am I gonna be saving for a long, long :bawl: long time?
    Thanks guys.

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The Japanese stuff is great you can’t go wrong with it but the Mexican stuff is a little on the cheap side.

3. thanks... any more specifics.... how do the p.u.p's and pre's rank up? what about playability issues? do most of them go away with a good setup?

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have A Geddy Lee model Jazz that’s made in Japan it came with American single coils that sound great. As far as preamps I have no experience with Fender pres because all my Fenders have been passive. Fenders from the factory no matter if its mia mij mim need some tweaking on the setups, but any bass really needs to be setup to your own way of playing.

5. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    That´s right even the more expensive ones leave the factory with bad setup IMHO. Besides i own a ´96 MIM P-Bass which sounds as good as any MIA Bass i´ve played in a shop so far. The tuners are bad quality tough.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    IME, MIJ Fenders top MIAs for quality. P:s and J:s made in Japan about 1980 are the best-made Fenders I've played, and can be found at very reasonable prices.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would like to chime in here about Fender's from the factory. I have ordered three directly from Fender, a FMT V, a Victor Bailey and a MIM p bass. besides those I have bought a MIA nos 2000 jazz, a cij Sting, a cij marcus Miller, a cij Geddy Lee (off the shelf), a MIM dlx jazz, a Mia 75RI special edition all brand new and none of these basses needed any tweeking at that time. They were all completely playable from the start. Now I have slightly lowered action on some basses to my liking and style of playing but everyone does'nt like their action in the same place, What I'm saying is Fender ships basses with action set at a certain height and the only thing that would affect the setup will affect the setup on most basses ie weather changes during shipping.

And as far as Texx's tuner statement of course the tuners are less than stellar, it's a entry level bass! I hope he didn't expect MIA tuners on his MIM bass :rolleyes:

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here's another opinion definatly not based on what's out there. I own MIA, CIJ, and MIM Fenders so I don't buy Fenders because they come from 1 certain country, MIJ/CIJ basses are good basses for the money but I would not go as far as to say they are better than MIA basses. First of all I own more than three of each so I have a good barometer to go by. If you match up MIJ/CIJ basses up with MIA basses this is what you will find.
    1) MIA basses have far better electronics
    2)MIA basses have graphite necks
    3)MIA basses have quality tuners on ALL basses
    4)MIA have quality pups on ALL basses
    5)Neck binding on MIA basses cover fret ends, CIJ basses don't
    6)MIA basses made out of premium woods, MIJ/CIJ basswood or heavy ash body's on natural w/more pieces
    7)MIJ/CIJ basses often come with aftermarket parts to make deal more attractive.
    8)MIA basses come standard with case,wrenches,graphite necks,rolled fingerboard edges, Strap and cord, pups that don't need changing. sufficient electronics and tuners, premium body woods. Now there are people out there that say MIA basses are over priced due to the prices of MIJ/CIJ and MIM basses but you DO get what you pay for! Like I said I own 4 MIJ basses and they are excellent basses for the money but I bet if you put them next to A MIA bass and charge the same price for both we would not be having this conversation, we would be pointing out the flaws in MIJ/CIJ basses!

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Pyrohr is absolutely correct, and accurately summarizes the advantages of the American Series. I think they are excellent instruments, which receive much unfair criticism. I own three: Jazz (2003); P-bass (2004); and Strat (2004). They are built to very high standards, and are my workhorse axes.

However, for the price, I think the pickups should be better, especially the harsh Strat bridge pickup. Of the three, I think the Jazz's pickups were the best, but I even swapped those out for Fralins. The P-bass pickup had decent tone, but I wanted more output, so I swapped it out too. But make no mistake: the Am. Ser. pickups are VASTLY superior to MIM Standard Series pickups. Just go to GC or Sam Ash and play them back to back through a good amp. You'll understand immediately.

Also, some MIJ Fenders do have quality close to the American Series, and offer excellent tone. I have a '94 MIJ Foto Flame P-bass that is extremely well built, and delivers '60s P-bass tone on a platter. To get similar tone in a new Fender, you'd be paying $1,200 for the American Vintage '62 P-bass, but this cost me $550. That said, I don't play it as much as my U.S. Fenders, which just feel much, much better to me. I view that as a preference though, not a quality issue.

10. +1

Over the years I have owned Fenders, both guitars and basses, made just about everywhere Fender ever made instruments. There's no doubt the MIA's are the cream of the Fender crop; always have been, always will be.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Again, MIJ basses cut corners in various places. Photo flame while some of it loos ok is like looking at a bass with wallpaper on it :rolleyes: never mind what the finish under it or what it's made of. I have a Geddy I've had for 7 months and the tuners as well as the neck plate seem to be oxidizing, the bass still works and sound the same but the metal parts are losing their luster. Again if the MIA bass and the MIJ basses cost the same amout would anyone say the MIJ bass was better?
    BTW my 2000 MIA natural jazz has Fralin pups in it. There was nothing wrong with the original pups I just have a bunch of basses so I decided to use the natural jazz for the Fralins. The Fralins smoothed out the low end making it more userable and added zing to the high end, all in all made the bass clearer than it was. This is my staple bass! My go to axe. :D I do gig with most of my basses though.