1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

those impedence boxes for fuzz pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnDavisNYC, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    just thinking... I know there are some boxes to make the signal from an active bass or buffer more like a passive bass. Has anyone tried with a woolly mammoth?

I am more concerned with having my fuzz react consistently to active, passive, and boss buffer than sounding like a passive. If it is 50% towards passive tonally, that is cool, cuz I would get a little more punch, but doesn't really matter...

Going to start desinging a new board around a TB loop strip and wang consistent fuzz no matter the bass or signal chain.

John

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Is the "Wang Consistent Fuzz" an original design?
    I haven't heard of that one before;)

3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    typing on my iPod sucks.

But yes, I have Wang consistent fuzz.

John

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are some things that shouldn't be talked about in public. This is one of them.

:D

:bag:

5. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    dude, I'm talking about pedals....

John

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I'm interested in this as well but more on a I'd like to build my own one one of these days point of view.

7. I'm also interested in whether or not anyone's tried this/had any success. Of course, I've also all but decided that I wouldn't even consider an active preamp if it didn't have the option to go passive...

Brian

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, if you say so, John ;)

So for the benefit of us pedal-challenged people, could you please explain what a wang controlled fuzz is? Is it a brand of pedal? Or is it a certain implementation in several fuzzes?

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    wang consistent fuzz isn't google-able therefor it doesn't exist.

10. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    well, active wang, passive wang or buffered wang I always want the fuzz to react the same way...

Ummmm.

Yeah, so my fodera has an active/passive switch and my fender is passive, but the levels are about the same... I want the mammoth to respond the same to both, regardless of impedence.

John

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sounds like a tough one to accomplish even if the levels are the same. Part of the reason I tend to stick to one bass through the night. I have enough trouble just playing one ;)

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you ask Toasted nicely, he might make you one of these:

[​IMG]
    http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18200&st=0

Also Barge Concepts have included variable impedance controls on their custom builds before. If you want a new bypass strip then it would make sense to build it into that and have fewer boxes.

14. I don't quite udnerstand,... are you basically wanting to get like the switch from the flying mutant tomato fuzz (for example) with buffer for active/passive and build it into a stomp box?

15. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    yes, i have, years ago, and it works. it´s not about getting the sound of the passive pu´s, it´s about the impedance (and the volume sometimes).
    you run the signal through one part of a transformer, and you can add a variable signal attenuator.
    gets you there...i still prefer a "real" passive signal into fuzz-face type circuits and the like.
    here´s the link where jack orman describes the concept: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

cheers,
    lowstar

16. This guy that makes pedal steel products gave a link to his stuff over in amps. He's got a pedal to adjust impedance output. It sounds like people typically use it to adjust their signal to whatever impedance works best with their volume pedal. Here's a link.

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/freeloader.html

17. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    these boxes that you linked to change the load the pickup sees, and on the other side give out a low impedance signal, exactly the opposite to what is needed driving fuzz face or woolly mammoth. it says "buffer line driver" after all. they are designed for passive pickups.

cheers,
    lowstar

18. I've got one of Toasted's "buffers" too and it works quite well with all of my dirt pedals.

19. Is there any reason you couldn't install that transformer circuit across the output on your bass in it's control cavity? It looks small enough. And it would be passive so it wouldn't need extra power.

20. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    a switch to go from active to passive is 1/20th the size of a transformer. and sounds better. unless you have active pu´s, that is. (hell, who needs active pu´s ? ;))

cheers,
    lowstar