those odd groupies

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cactus waltz, Feb 10, 2005.

1. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    I was playing a small club gig with a band that played covers of Pink Floyd (not a big fan of the Floyd, but I figured it was a good opportunity to learn more about playing live).

Anyway, after the show's over, I'm just chilling on the dancefloor. A girl walks up to me:

-"Hey. So, uh.. Your bass, it's got four strings, right?"
    -"...Uh.. yeah."

Then she turns 180 degrees and I don't see her again for the rest of the evening.

2. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Was she with a group of other people her age?
  3. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    I honestly have no idea. She was alone when she confronted me.
  4. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Yah, that's kinda funny. I was thinking it was one of those "Dare you to do it things" like "Dare you to go talk to the band member" and the person goes up and gets all frazzled and winds up asking something obvious like "You always wear shirts with buttoned cuffs?" When they leave they tell their friends whatever they want because nobody else heard the conversation.

That kind of thing.

Funny gig story though :)
  5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It's always a thrill to play those gigs where the crowd is really into it, which teh bands feeds off an gets more into it and everyuone gets high of the music.... but when it's over; it's over.

So girls come up to to talk to you. Why ? becuase you are in the band. They've been watching you for your last set(s) and they confuse their attarction to the music to an atraction to you personally.

I'm guessing your groupie's illusion was deflated during this conversation. Don't take it personally, I just smile and enjoy such ephemeral moments as a strange fringe benefit of being a gigging musician.
  6. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I've had only one groupie in my whole life, and we're dating now so I'm not sure if it that really counts as a groupie or someone that's looking to hook up...
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sounds to me like a missed opportunity.

The girl was probably trying to strike up a conversation with you, and see if you are interesting enough to possibly give her phone number too. The lack of enthusiasm or substance in your response probably sent a signal of "uninterested" or "uninteresting". With that she walked away.

A better scenario would be:
    -"Hey. So, uh.. Your bass, it's got four strings, right?"
    -"Why yes it does. Are you a fan of bass?"
    -"yeah, I think bass is the sexiest instrument"
    -"Cool, wanna sit on my amp while I play?" ;)

But seriously, even if you aren't interested in the girl, striking up a conversation makes you and your band into interesting people. People like to check out things that are interesting. It's an opportunity for generate goodwill for your band, developing a rapport with your fans, networking, and possible social benefits.
  8. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    If only I had the guts, man. Though I'm working on that part, honestly.

*Girl, my bass got as many strings as you want!*

9. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Let's face it, we bass players are at the bottom of the groupie food chain. I rememeber doing this gig and my band was just smoking the audience was receptive and girls were goign crazy (jumping os stage, flashing, ect...)

After my bands gets of stage, this bunch of girls approaches us, pushes me out of the way to talk to the lead singer!

The food chain hierarchy for groupies is;
    1. Lead Singers
    2. Guitar Players
    3. Drummers
    5. Keyboard players
    6. Roadies/Soundman/secuirty
    7. Back-up singers,tamborine/triangle players
  10. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    This is great advice. It is always a good idea to talk to everyone.

11. LOL. I played at this rehearsal for this group this drummer dude I used to know, he wanted to throw a band together. There was a female vocalist and at one point she sa on the bass amp...I think she sat on it for quite a while ;)

Of course I adjusted the tone controls on my bass accordingly...
  12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    "Sit on my amp and tell me that you love me!"

I almost peed my pants on that one!
  13. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005

It doesn't matter. The Guitars and Drummers may get a pretty girl, but I'll take the two uglies that are left over - just turn out the lights.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I agree. Missed opportunity. She had nothing to say, but wanted to let you know that she was interested. It was up to you to pursue . . . or not . . .
  15. 1bassm

Jan 31, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    This is true, most spin off gigs (weddings, birthday party's etc) for us come from people that come up to us after a gig to say hello - we always make an effort to talk to them and thank them for their appreciation.
    On the phone we always get " friend spoke to you guys at (??) and recomended you for our wedding ..."
  16. LMAO

Ohh man that statement is a killer dude :D
    But as usual jive has good advice and yea catus you could've scored if you played your cards right but hey you learn something new everyday so all is not lost just be aware next time but if she's drunk , we'll hey ! there you go
  17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oh man, don't even start me on groupies. Don't even go there. :D

Over the years, I've come to stay far away from the "rock idol" people. Used to, at one point, but gone the other direction now. Have a loving wife. One woman is more than enough for me. :D:D:D

I like people who are "genuinely" interested. Sometimes it's hard to draw the line, and there will certainly always be opportunities out there.

And it's rarely bad to "sow a few oats" every now and then, although that kind of thing can get real old, real fast.

I met my wife at a gig. We hooked up inside of about thirty minutes. I don't know what it was I first noticed, but there was definitely something "genuine" I picked up on.

That's the "faculty of discrimination", right? :D:D:D
  18. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww, that's how I hooked up with my girlfriend actually...
  19. Eh, keyboardists are a lot higher on that list, trust me. Well. Maybe 4th on that list rather than 5th.
  20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've never had any problems in that regard. :D

At least not when it comes to the "fishing" part. :)

Some chics are really turned on by bass players.

Maybe it's that low frequency thing making the bell bottoms wiggle, who knows. :):):)