Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those of you that are wishing for Hartke....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HellsBassSlayer, Aug 10, 2003.

1. I hate to say it, but.... ....I own a Hartke Transporter Series 4x10. While I love the sound of Hartke overall, if I knew what I know now, I would've bought the professional series. I went and played through a Professional series that made my Transporter sound like a little b**ch!! Please, take my advise.

My only major complaint is frequency range. I like to play with alot of bass boost, and it kind of distorts at moderate volumes. And I'm only pushing 80 wts..

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    80 watts into a 300 watt cabinet? thats why its distorting, you are massivley underpowering it. step up to a better head, and it will sound better. but the XL's are better anyways. (ha, check the sig.)

By the way, what head are you using?

3. I'm using a 1400 series, and I already know..it's a cheap low wattage piece. It would put out 140wts with a 4 ohm cab, any Transporter cab is 8 ohms. There aren't too many heads that I know of that will throw out a sufficient ammount of power at 8 ohms to make any cab sound good. Aren't most 4-2 ohms? I only bought the Transporter coz at the time I got a good deal on it and it was better then using a combo amp. Thanks for your reply.. Jay

4. whoops, let me rephrase that. There aren't too many heads that I know of that will throw out good wattage and also deliver that at 8 ohm two channels. Most that I've seen have been like I said, 4-2 ohms..

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    you mean like a stereo setup? some amps cannot run at 2 ohms, or perform poorly at 2 ohms. i run my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro at 8 ohms, and its loud enough for me.
    and you can always make two 8 ohm cabinets 4 ohms. so if you wanted to add a 1x15 (which would be a good idea) make sure its an 8 ohm cab, and then pair it up with the 4x10. that will total 4 ohms. also you can Bi-amp, which sends the lows to the 15, and the mids/highs to the 4x10.

6. thanks. now i feel like a dufus. I didn't even know what it bi-amp was.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ha. Bi-amping works real slick. at a venue i run sound for, we actually have like a quad-amped system. the lows go to a 2x18 peavey sub, low mids go to the 2x15's in the mains (2 mains, so low mids have 4 1x15's) the high mids go the the 1x12, and the highs go to the tweeters. this works real slick and sounds awesome. it takes alot of pressure off your other speakers.

8. yeah, that's cool. i just started doing sound at a venue where i live. and while i don't know excactly how everything is hooked up and what not, i do have a good ear for sound....starting to really get into it though..i'm an audiophile at heart..

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ha, same here man.