Those of you that use two instruments on one amp..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jun 14, 2005.

1. How do you deal with EQing??

The problem I'm having is switching between upright and electric bass.. I always seem to have to mess with the EQ when I switch. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this of this problem?? I'd like to just switch instruments and not fart around with the EQ but it never seems to work this way.. Any suggestions??
  2. Walter Woods!!!! It's one of the few amps out there that I know of that has two channels with complete, identical tone controls. The amp sounds great with fretted electric and very good with acoustic bass guitar or upright.

They are a little pricey but they are worth it... very small and powerul (the Ultra is 1200 RMS into 4ohms and only about 7 pounds).

I hear that the Acoustic Image company is thinking about putting out a two channel amp with identical inputs soon (the two channel they have now has an instrument channel and a 'mike' channel at the moment.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My Green Audio preamp has two independent channels, one with parametric, the other with graphic EQ (both with additional shape switch), I can use either channel A or B, but also A+B simultaneously.
  4. You could try a Radial Bassbone. I have one, it's great! Although, I use it w/a passive bass and an active bass using different eq and vol settings. I believe it could be applicable w/an upright as well.

check it out:
  5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Alembic's F2B preamp has 2 separate inputs with separate volume and tone controls.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I generally won't use 2 basses on a gig. If I do, there's a good chance on is active, so I set the amp for the passive bass and then use the onboard preamp on the active to make adjustments.

Actually, with the Eden preamp, it usually only takes a click or two of one control to clear things up.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I use a head, then the Walter Woods is the clear choice for doubling. But when I use a rack rig that has a preamp with parametric EQ, I can normally dedicate one band to "feedback control" and just crank that one knob when I switch instruments. Also, if I have the rack rig, I use a Raven Labs MDB-1 to mix levels and mute the unused instrument.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  8. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I use an Eden WT-800 thru an Avatar 210 Pro and SB112. Each 8 ohm speaker uses one side of the amp. I also utilize a Raven MBD-1 to balance the input signal between my Azola Bug II, a fretted, and a fretless.

For my electric basses, I have my EQ set to the room and tend to lean my blend a little towards the 210 cab. When utilizing the Azlola, I roll the treble from 2:00 to 9:00 and set the blend to about 75% SB112.

The MBD-1 has its XLR out running to the main house, but my amp usually provides about 80% of the house mix in the places I usually play. Because I supply such a large amount of the house mix volume, my EQ settings don't necessarily sound the best in my playing position, and are instead set for the overall house mix.

9. I'm not looking at buying a new head because I just bought a new combo. The thing that is weird is my Eden 2x8 has two channels, an aux and a main channel. But only the main channel goes through the DI.. It doesnt pump the signal fromt he aux through the DI..
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have also used the Radial Bassbone with great success. Works well and has a good builtin DI.
  11. It looks like that is what I need.. Do you just run the EQ on your amp flat??
  12. Whoa, until I saw the price..Thats about 2/3rds the price of my amp!! Hmm.. off to look for option 2..
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The way I deal with this......

Option A: Fishman Pro Platinum EQ run into the effects return for a second channel. The Fishman runs about $170 or so.

Option B: Run one instrument flat and depress the bypass EQ button on my head, then use the EQ for the other.
  14. you should check out a sansamp programmable bass preamp, it has three programable channels, about 199.00
  15. It seems to me an inexpensive way to do it would be with a pedal EQ. Set the amp EQ to one bass and make the EQ and level adjustments for another bass with the pedal.

I hope that made sense. I'm gonna go space out now! :ninja:
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I use an ampeg SVP-Pro which has a switchable graphic EQ (including a level control). Set the basic sound for one bass and the basic sound + graphic for the other.
  18. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you're not buying a new amp and your budget is limited, this is your best option. Keep it off for bass #1, and set it to sound good for bass #2. There are a ton of eq pedals out there, you should be able to get a decent one for $50. I used to use the Trace Elliot 7 eq pedal and it sounded great.

Either that or memorize the exact amp eq changes you want to make and practice making them quickly. Or pay a roadie to do that . . . :)