1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Those of you with multiple basses, ever feel like selling them all LOL I do..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    This is for the guys with the multiple basses, I just sold one and I still have 4 now and a custom Valenti coming soon, do you ever feel like selling them all or selling most of them?

I know I grab two consistently and im sure when the Valenti comes in I will add one more to the list I dont grab..

And I think of all the other things I could use the money on, and just wonder if I should sell them or just work thru this little phase..

What do you think? :help:

2. I rarely have ever owned more than 2 basses. Unless you are a studio bassist playing a variety of different styles of music weekly or a gigging bassist doing the same, it just seems redundant.

So for me yes, having more than 2-3 basses at a time is a waste.

3. eekmeg

eekmeg

Aug 15, 2008
    Texas
    I can't say that I've felt that way.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have 3 basses now:
    - Lakland 55-01 Fretted
    - Lakland 55-01 Fretless
    - Michael Kelley Dragonfly-4

I use the 55-01 fretted more of then the others, but I wouldn't sell the others, since I still use them enough and want that different sound I get from the other 2.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, this goes through my head. I have one bass that I will never part with, my MIJ '75 RI Jazz, even though I don't really play it anymore. However, I have a Nordy vJ5 and a MTD 635. I could probably be very happy owning one or the other, but I have both. Having to choose between which one to spend my time with is an annoying little problem to deal with. Both are great and have their pluses and minuses but I've always preferred to make a connection with one bass and use that one bass for everything. Having these two killer basses has complicated that and I feel guilty if I don't play one of them for an extended period of time due to the large amount of money invested in there that could be used for other things. I know, what a terrible problem to have ;), but it really is annoying and I find myself often thinking about selling one or both of them and possibly just going back to playing only my Jazz. Before I found TB, I was very happy using the gear I had. In a way, TB kind of ruined that peace for me.

I also feel at times that I'm not good enough for the gear I own. I love playing bass, but I am no virtuoso. I just love grooving and holding down the low end. I don't really solo, but I love the funk and feel that is my best subject. However, the basses I have are far more than I need to get the job done, so again I think about selling them and using the money for other reasons.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I have two, but I only feel like selling them when I want to put the money from then towards a better, more expensive bass. Then, I remember that all the sounds I need, and can achieve with 4 strings, can be done with my active Jazz, and passive Peavey.

Now, selling my little brother...:bag:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All of my basses serve a purpose. There is no duplication...OK, there's a little. I have a P and a PJ with flats. I could sell all but one and work just as much as I always have. I sold off three last year and bought two more in their place, so obviously the single bass thing isn't working for me anymore. Fortunately, I have cheap taste in basses.

8. Nope, not selling. Well, I do want to sell my ESP, but just 'caus the sound doesn't do it for me and because I want two more basses. I don't think there's a bass made that can cover what I want to cover tonality wise.

9. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I have 3 basses, but have 4 more on the building bench, I've only started building to really see what "scratches the itch" so to speak. I don't have a regularly gigging band (though I did at one time), and I never really experimented with other basses while in the band, so I kinda feel like you cant learn the intricacies of the instrument until you've spent some time with them (at least that's what I tell my wife...)
    I feel like I have the basics covered; I have a fretless jazz, a fretted 4 string stingray, and a homebuilt 5-string, with a modern tone. These bases are all different and each fill a particular niche, but i find myself still wanting to break the limitations these basses have. I love the tone of each of them, maybe I'll sell a few, of course just to fuel my constant GAS...

10. I have 7 basses on hand currently.. half of them high-end. It really is redundant and I'm planing on selling 3 or 4 of them pretty soon. That would definitely free up a lot of cash.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have 5 basses right now, two passive (vintage sound) 4 string fretted, a 4 string fretless, a 5 string, and an active (hi-fi sound) 4 string fretted. If anything was going to go, realistically it should either be my jazz or my gibson g3 since they're both passive fretted 4's but they're totally different sounds.

So really, I don't think I have any repetition right now. Good enough reason to keep them all :D

12. Well, I've got four, a Modulus Q5, a Conklin GT-7, Lakland 55-02 fretless, and my most recent purchase, thanks to talkbass,.. a Ritter classic! Seriously considering selling my Mod and the conklin as I find myself just taking the ritter and the lakland to gigs now,.... and here's the 2 gals in the flesh,..along with my biggest fan!!! (proud grampa pose) :D

[​IMG][/IMG]

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    funny you should bring that up, I was just contimplating that very subject this evening, I have been trying to unload one of my stambaughs, but I have eight more and generally only play two or three most of the time. They allow me to try different strings but do I really need all of these? and then, which to let go? I,m pretty attached to them and I,ve down sized alot over the last couple years. I sometimes think that two would be sufficient, I owned only one at a time for many years so why is it so tuff to get back to that place.

14. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    I guess I did what you (the op) were thinking of. I've narrowed down my arsenal to 2 basses -my fretless vette and my 71 jazz. Tonally and feel wise, it accomplishes everything I need... Except maybe a sixer:D

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well...yes and no...I'm up to 5 in my collection, just having acquired 2 in the past 3 weeks: an MTD 535 fretless and a Roscoe SKB 3005. I love every bass in my collection.

Each bass I own has its good days and bad days, where sometimes I feel like I'm fighting it and can't get a good tone and think about replacing it. I also think about how much money I could get if I sold them all and what I could do with all that cash.

OTOH, while each bass has its bad days, I find I may put it down, unhappy with it for a while, but then pick it up, almost as if to validate the fact I'm considering putting it on the auction block only to find that it's having a good day and can't get a bad tone, and feels phenomenal. And, each bass I own has more than its share of good days.

I love my collection as it stands, and am fairly gas free at this moment (a lot of buyers remorse right now with the cost of those 2 latest basses in a short time-span!!!)

Thus, I think my collection isn't likely to shrink in the foreseeable future. In fact, I think it's time to put down my computer and noodle around for an hour before I have to pack...:bassist:

16. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    :eek: Crazy talk!

Keeping them all for now - unless someone wants a nice deal on a 16 pound '80 Schecter Jazz with a horribly twisted neck - let's talk! ;)

17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I've got 10 basses right now, and while I sometimes consider selling one or two of them, that would be with an eye toward buying another one down the road. There are at least four or five that I own which I will likely never sell.

18. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I've already done it. Kinda got sick of having as much gear as a music store. I try to keep my possessions limited and I already have huge CD and DVD collections as well as a library.

I went through the "I need/want a dozen basses" thing before...trying to cover all ground. But I learned I really just don't care for 5'ers or 6'ers or 8-strings, etc. Nor do I care for active electronics.

I have two basses, both real cheapies but good. I do sometimes long for a hollowbody or a fretless, but for the forseeable futurre I have all the basses I need (though I need amp gear desperately.)

I'm really going to try to keep GAS at bay this time around.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I guess sorta kinda :smug: I mainly play my 50's classic P bass and have a modded MIM P thats a backup as well as gigger. After that the rest are for collection and were bought cheap. A 80's squier P/J that's beat up i paid 60.00 bucks for . A cool 70's Aria jazz (100). An old 70's mayfair beatle bass hofner copy that hangs in my homebar(50). A squier VM jazz i got for half off used (150). Plus two Crafter 5 string basses bought off an 80's hair band bassist that still tours for 100.00 ea plus a Samick pro 5 stringer i gave another 100 for .

I dont use high end gear so im ok. I put more into my amps lately.

20. Single Coil

Single Coil

Apr 8, 2006
    Funny you should mention that...

I own the following:
    Ric 4003FG
    Fender MIM 60's Classic Jazz (sunburst)
    Fender MIM 50's Classic P (none more black)
    Fender MIM Jazz Fretless (midnight wine)
    Carvin B4 (blueburst)

I use the Ric and the two Classic series for my band.

Just this afternoon the thought occurred to me that if I had to choose any two instruments to keep for the rest of my life, it would be the fretless and the Carvin. Why is this?

I won't take the fretless to gigs because of my awesome intonation skills:rollno:, and I won't take the Carvin because of its amplified tone; the Ric and the Fenders sound awesome.

It really comes down to feel; I prefer the feel of my "stay at home" basses. Although, to be fair, I just received the P bass and am still getting used to it. I may end up liking it as much as the other two. It is an awesome bass.

I'm not planning on selling my others because they have a purpose; but if that changes, then I will have a decision to make. So I guess I would ask the OP, do your basses have a specific purpose that you need to keep them?