Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those of you with several basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    How similar do the basses that you play have to be? Like do the necks on them have to feel similar in profile or do some of you have ones that are completely different? I assume different for those that play ones with more than 4 strings a lot. I know some people have to get used to a certain bass and then have trouble switching between them and not being able to play as well. I don't really seem to have this problem (not that I play that great anyways) unless the scale length changes. I suppose it might matter more to me if I was playing Jazz or something but for the rock (classic, alternative, hard, whatever) that I play, as long as it's set up decently I can use it.

What are some of your thoughts/experiences with this?

2. I only have two basses, but I have a 4 and 5. The necks are obviously different, and that's not a problem. I don't mind some chunkier necks either (P-Bass, Spector, etc.). I just don't like my necks to feel sticky...

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    All my basses' necks are different in regards to strings width.. 16.5mm to 17mm to 19mm.. and with different scale lengths (34" & 35")

The only thing with regards to profile is that I have assymetrical prifiles on my ERBs and my Lulls have a "Shallow C" contour. This of course is not by request but simply the way they're made.....

I have no trouble going between any of them at any given time...

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've gotten really used to the jazz p/u position (bridge) as a thumb rest, which is the main reason my P isn't seeing much action these days. I also really like the thinner jazz 4 necks, which is why my SR4, P, and Elrick GS5 are not getting much action. So #1 is my Cote Continuum 4, and #2 is my '65 jazz. When I'm playing live, 'tactile familiarity' has become very important.

5. I've got a Modulus Flea 4 and Flea 5. Same colors, same everything, just different number of strings.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have 12 basses, few of which are similar in terms of style, tone of playability. I've had a problem switching from one bass to another - I guess I just don't really think about it.

Do I have preferences? Absolutely! For example, I like unpainted, wide top-to-bottom, thin front-to-back necks. But my Tune Maniac his a super-thin, painted neck, which differs greatly from any of my other basses. Doesn't bother me, though.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My main 3-basses are a percision, a jazz, and a fretless percision.
    I also own a 5 string with a 1 7/8 neck.
    And a 6-string with a 2 1/4 neck. at nut.
    I like basses with different neck profiles, I tend to play each bass different.
    If you use proper left hand tec. neck size is no problem.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    all my basses are different

P-bass with flatwounds
    Jazz with flatwounds
    Ibanez with roundwounds
    acoustic bass
    fretless P-bass
    6 string bass

and no I don't have any trouble at all switching between them.

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I usually have 5 to 6 basses that get some type of regular play. Two are 4 strings (both keepers) with a fender style body and jazz neck (one fretted, one fretless) so the basic feel is similar. I have two FBB's, one 5 fretted and one 6 fretless (also both keepers), that have similar bodystyles & neck profiles to each other but are way different than the Fender style 4's. I also use a 7 string GT7 that has it's own unique personality & feel. I almost always have a lower end 6er of some sort as well, usually a Brice .....

Switching between basses has not been a problem for me, and each bass has qualities that make it special. If the bass isn't unique to me in some way or another, I get rid of it. My preference is for the FBB's .... ideally suited to my style of playing ...... :cool:

10. i'm not the kind of person who would get several variations of the same thing, but that's not meant to denigrate the practice. i can understand being in love with the best solution for you.

what i love about having different basses is that they're not only different in sound, but also in feel, so each is really better suited for different styles of music and inspire me to play different musical ideas.

i have a P clone, 34" scale and a peavey cirrus BXP 4, 35" scale. they're totally different in feel, sound, and scope.

robb.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have 6 very different basses:
    1974 Rickenbacker 4001
    1978 Rickenbacker 3001
    2003 Rickenbacker 4003
    1988 Fender Jazz Bass
    2001 Gibson Thunderbird
    2005 G&L ASAT

I like the difference in tone, features & playing style. The only thing I have consciously done in regards to the basses being "similar" was to choose a G&L ASAT over the G&L L2000. The #8 "jazz width" neck comes standard on the ASAT & I will say that the necks on my Jazz Bass & T-bird are nice & thin and very easy to play.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

98 MIM Jazz

mid 60's Decca

Different scale lengths, two are bolt ons, way different sounds

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. I am not sensitive at all to the different scale lengths, string spacing at the bridge and nut, etc. of my multiple basses. As long as the set-up is decent (I do find it hard to switch from a bass with low action to one with high action), I can play anything!

There's something to be said about really, really getting comfortable with one bass... however, there's also something to be said to playing different instruments so your technique does not become over-dependent on one exact instrument IMO.

14. Going from thick neck warwick to thin neck carvin has never been an issue really. What gets me might be switching between dif string spacing though. Nothing big, but worth mentioning I guess.

When I go from 6 string (16.5mm string spacing) to 4 string (19mm or 21mm) I have a quick 30 second adjustment window where i may go to skip a string and come up short in my right hand or even sometimes with my left hand I might come up a little shy and play a psuedo dead note. Going down from 21 or 19->16.5 tho I have no issue. *shrug* no big deal though.

Everyone has their own little quirks, as you say

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Since Y2K, all of my basses have been fretted five-strings. I've no interest in 4 or 6+ string basses. I now realize that I strongly prefer 19mm bridge spacing and 1-7/8" nut width, so that's all I'm interested in. I also prefer Fender style basses, but do have an unusual boutique on the way in (D.Huff).

However, I like both:
    Active and passive
    One pickup and two pickup
    Roundwounds and flatwounds
    34" and 35"
    Solid and hollow
    ...and maybe I'll get a fretless one of these days.

16. I'm pretty flexible I guess. My two main basses are very different.

My Ken Lawrence is a 35" scale 5-string with full 19mm string spacing. Wide, thin neck.

My Warwick Streamer Stage II is a 34" scale 5-string with 16.5mm string spacing. Narrow, thick neck.

And they both feel great to me, just in different way. I've never had problems switching between different scale lengths or string spacings like a lot of people seem to.

17. Stambaugh fretted 6 & fretless 4, Fender Jazz 5, Washburn AB-20: all 34" scale & 3/4" spacing(more or less)but pretty varying in tone & feel. The 34" X 3/4" thing is kind of a must for me, I'm finding. I have a fretted 4 & fretless 7 on the way- both 34". The fretless is wide; not sure about the 4.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I set all my basses up with a medium action, but each neck has different dimensions, so each has bass a feel of it's own.

Lull M5V
    Roscoe SKB3006
    Fender Precision
    Spector NS4CRFM
    Modulus Q-4
    Fretless Precision
    Rickenbacker 4001
    Fretless Jazz
    Alembic Europa 4
    Fender Jazz
    MusicMan Sterling

I used to have a hard time going from one model to another, but over the years it's become easier for me to switch basses.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They dont have to be similair at all except i like to set them up similiarly.

And i only like to own basses with MM pickups right now, heh.

20. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My 4 are pretty different: maple & rosewood fretboards, 4 and 5 string fretted, 4 string fretless. MM, Fender and G&L.