1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Those rack mount tuners. (hey, it's in the same rack as my amp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 12, 2009.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Not getting much in searches, except for the Korg DTR 1000/2000.

I already have 1 rack with a DTR 1000, and I'm quite happy with it. But I now am building a second rack, and I want a rack mount tuner in it, so, is there better, just as good, or perhaps a tad less precise, yet half price. I don't really mind spending money for another DTR-1000, but is there something else I should consider.

SWR RU-N2N ? :bassist:
    Fender ? :confused:
    Behringer, :bag: ?

Other ? :help:

Thanks all

2. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    go with the korg, ive had the fender and behringer and found them slightly inaccurate. The korg 1000 has always been the best for me. Ive never tried the SWR though

3. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Check w/ Greg @ Rocket Music. I think he had some Korg DTR-1000's that he had a great price on. Rocket Music has a sponsored forun here on TB. Greg is also a great guy to deal with. Just shoot him a PM.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have the DTR-2000, and really like it... I think if I were looking for a cheaper racked alternative, I'd go with the Fender, or a Sabine...

A VERY cost effective solution if you have a tuner out on the front of the amp is the Korg Pitchjack - only $20, and pretty versatile... I'm using mine in the tuner out with my NeoPak, and it's working great that way...

- georgestrings

5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    A DTR100 user for years, I switched over to the Peterson Strobo Flip a year or so ago and feel it is the most accurate, easy to use tuner I have ever had. I would imagine their Strobo Rack unit to be equally good if not better.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I could imagine that, as I have a Strobostomp I really like, too - only thing is, he's looking for something cheaper that a DTR-1000, and in this case, a Peterson is probably not the answer...

- georgestrings

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'd actually get a smaller rack:), and purchase one of the Sonic Research Tuner. Pure stobe accuracy (higher than the Strobostomp or Flip), small, tracks as quickly as anything I've ever experienced, and you get a true bypass mute button as part of the deal.

Unfortunately, most of those rack tuners are just large versions of the 'not very accurate' non-strobe stomp box versions.

IMO!

8. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    I agree with Ken (most of the time!) Based on his review, I purchased a Sonic tuner. Great product, use it with my tuner out on all my heads, small, sits right by my stack, true bypass as he says, very quick to tune. I am also trying to downsize and the last thing I need is something else to add the the rack I never use (QSC PLX 1804 / Fender TBP-1) because at 3 spaces, it's already to big and heavy! Based on the 1st, I thing I am going to buy another to keep hooked up in my practice area for intonation. Thanks, Ken!

9. Try and pick one up used. A Korg that is.

I had someone down to $100 for a Korg DTR2000

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Only advantage I've ever seen in rack tuners is that you don't have to deal with a battery. Hardly worth the weight and space though.

Just because racks exist doesn't mean people need to buy larger ones and then think of ways to fill them ; }

11. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have a Behringer and a Sabine. They both work flawlessly. No batteries is a plus, yes, but even more is no plugging and un plugging, and it's off the floor, with no clutter. Nothing makes a band sound more pro, than NOT having somebody yelling, give me an A, or whatever, and listening for someones endless search for they're bad sense of intonation. That just turns me off on a band imeadiately. I'm hooked on my tuners, and won't have a rack without one. Do yourselves a favor, and get one. You won't look back.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I wholeheatedly agree with Greenboy on this however I find having a tuner in my racks is one less thing I have to think about. I too use the Korg DTR1000 (I have two) and they weigh virtually nothing so I dont mind the small added weight. I also carry a Seiko tuner in every guitar case that I currently gig with (four). There's also a Planet Waves tuner on my Pedal board for when I use my effects which is very seldom.

Paul

13. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    If you want to save some money and still get highly accurate tuning for the entire band,
    you might consider loading Peterson Strobosoft on a spare laptop.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    To me, the main advantages are quick setup and teardown, and nothing on the floor... For someone who doesn't use pedals, having a rack tuner is a big convenience, IMO...

For example, I use a 4 space rack with a G-K 700rb-II, a DRT-2000, and an XDR-95 wireless receiver - the whole thing probably weighs around 30lbs, if that - and as mentioned, is only in a 4 slot rack case... So, that relatively light and smallish rack case can be set on my cab, I plug in 1 power cable, 1 speaker cable, plug my wireless transmitter into my bass, and I'm up and running in about a minute - with nothing on the floor to worry about...

- georgestrings

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Indeed, but a laptop weighs a lot more than my Korg DTR1000!

Paul

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    The whole idea of Strobosoft on a laptop becomes very practical
    in a pro back line where your guitar tech makes the rounds checking the tuning
    of all the guitars before they get handed off to the performers between songs.

Of course most of us can't afford a full time guitar tech :)

17. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I'm always interested in the most accurate tuning. Are your observations based on specs or actual experience with both brand of tuners? I own the Flip, btw. :)

Edit: Partly answered my own question. StroboStomp/StroboFlip claim .1 accuracy while the Sonic Research claims .02. That is a big difference. Does it translate into something you can hear? How does it track the low B? :meh:

M. M.

18. It should be noted the Fender RT1000 and SWR RU2TN are the same unit ;)

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Both. I have the Strobostomp and have used it for years. While the specs show that the Sonic tuner is more accurate, I found the Strobostomp to be accurate enough for setting intonation, much less tuning live. Same with the Sonic. So, that wasn't the main issue. In no particular order, it was the size, price, tracking quickness, quality build, and really transparent 'true bypass' switching that blew me away since this unit is superior to the Strobostomp on each of these features.

I also like the fact that they have two form factors, one in a heavey metal case with true bypass for those who place a tuner between their bass and amp, and one in a tilt back plastic case that is designed to be set on top of the amp and run from the tuner out. Both are optimized for these usage situations. Nice!

20. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Hey Ken, thanks for the additional info. How does it do on the low B? :)

M. M.