1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Those soapbar pickups in Dean Edge basses...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Busker, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    The ones I have are not marked EMG (the better Deans have real EMG I think). These are probably generic copies of EMG for all I know. They came in one of those newer Dean Edge active basses (made in China).

Due to a (probable) fried preamp I've never really got to try the pickups, however, I have tested them and they do work, I just couldn't play the bass through an amp due to a jacked up preamp.

So, are the pickups worth keeping and using in some future project? Or are they generally not that great? Will they work OK as passive pickups, or do they need that preamp to sound their best?

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I like them a lot, especially when you cut the bridge p/u, and set the tone to 0; it gives you a really smooth tone. It's all about personal preference though.

3. Those pups are great, and they are passive...just did that mod on my edge.

Rip out the preamp etc. get 3 new pots, and rewire it V/V/T

With your remaining hole, you can put a series/parallel swith, or a kill switch, or a producer knob or carrot switch.

Mine has the carrot.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    So just rewire it as a passive bass? Cool idea, since I don't need active anyway. The battery compartment becomes a useless item, but I suppose you could store guitar picks in it.

5. Yup, very easy to do...I like mine way better now. And the simplicity of Jazz wiring is so much more versitile.

And the battery pack is a great place to stash stuff, haha