Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those sweet giant tortoise things.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Does anyone know stuff about them? The ones that are big enough to ride and live to be like 150 years old.

It's a dream of mine to someday own one as a household pet and have plants growing in every room so it could wander around and eat the plants! How realistic is this dream for the future? Would they eat umbrella trees or something? Would I just need to have a room built for him to go to if he wanted to swim in a big in ground bathtub or something? A boy can dream.
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    [​IMG]

2. You people don't like these sweet dealies? They are totally better than a dinosaur.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i had a friend who wanted a monkey... your idea is much better. But I would imagine that the red tape would be a pain in the arse.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I say: Get you some tortoise.

5. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    "Beware of Turtle"

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I see what's going on here. You just want to saddle that turtle up and slowly head out on a cross-country adventure.

brad cook

7. I would hate to have to clean up after one of those things on a bad day! :eek:

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The giant tort's are from the gallapagos islands, and are a protected species. They do not live anywhere else in the world (except maybe some zoos), and you couldnt get one in a million years. You can however visit the islands and see them first hand. I know a few folks who have gone. Some of the islands you cant dock a boat on, or wear shoes. One of my friends said they had to anchor the boat about 20-30ft from shore, take off their shoes, and swim in to a few of the more protected islands. They wont let you wear shoes because they dont want contamination, and you cant even take sand away from the island.

9. :hyper: you could get a baby on the black market and just wait 149 years for it to grow big......... :rollno: Or not! :)

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    A pet store near me has a giant tortoise of some sort or another that just wanders around the store. He's probably about 3 feet long, and stands about two feet high. He loves people, and loves to get petted. If you stroke his neck, he sticks his head out as far as it will go, and lays down on the floor for you. It's very cool.

On a side note, once, about 5 years ago, on a charter fishing trip in the Gulf, we were trolling deep, and I hooked something REAL strong. They figured it was a shark, and told me to pull it on up. It took about 20 minutes to do, and when I got it up, it was a giant sea turtle. The thing was MASSIVE, and really beautiful. We had to pull it next to the boat, and one of the fishermen got in the water next to it to unhook it, as I had snagged the corner of its shell. It just sat there and let us unhook it, and then slowly swam off into the depths. It was amazing.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:D :D :D

that turtle is awesome, btw. :cool:

12. SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Aug 20, 2004
    The Last Frontier
    I think that Tortise in your picture is an Aldabra, not a Galapagos, which are actually the biggest in the world. They come up for sale ever once-in-awhile for about $2000, maybe more, and they are protected. From what I hear they'll take a long time to get that big. You might want to look into the "smaller" giant tortises like Sulcatas. The sulcata or African Spur thigh tortise gets to about 3 feet so you wont be able to saddle it up ;) but you can still have a fun pet.Try some google searches on large tortise care and see what you come up with. They are a big commitment but it sounds like they can turn out to be rewarding pets. good luck.

here's a place to start looking, you should find reptile shows in your area as well so you can see some adults and talk to keepers/breeders.

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=50

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Torti of all kinds make cool pets. I had one when I was a kid, it looked like a miniature version of the galopagos ones. They are cool because they aren't as lazy as turtles, don't live in the water and don't smell.

Here's a link for some tortise pet info:
    http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesturtles/a/tortoises.htm

15. I thought those were endangered? :confused:

Or is that just the Galapagos version? ;)

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I recently had some incredible coffee from the Galapagos islands. No wonder the torti hang out there. They probably sip coffee all morning and mojitos all afternoon.

brad cook

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The only kind of big turtles we have around here are the alligator snapping turtles. They don't like their necks rubbed and they'll bite your nuts off*.

*That doesn't apply to you, stephdawe.

brad cook

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I read a little bit to find out some more out of curiosity, and it looks like they have giant torts in Madagascar and in India as well. Different species, and likely just as endangered, but not all on the Galapagos. Actually read there were 21 different races of these torts on the islands, each one belonging to a different island. Many of the original 21 are extinct, and at least one race has only 1 survivor named Lonesome George or something hehe.

Charles Darwin said the breastplate with flesh still on it roasted was quite good, and that the young ones make good soup hehe. They were common among Pirates and other sea faring folks as they could be kept alive on ships for long periods of time to provide fresh meat. They are endagered from not only habbitat, but also from mass hunting.