1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Those who experienced Warwick ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babebambi, Apr 1, 2009.

1. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    For those of you who tried but could not get comfortable with a Warwick ... (tone, playability, looks ... doesn't matter why)

I would like to know your general preference on bass

1. what is your go-to-bass in your procession?
    2. which is the next bass you plan to/hope to acquire?
    3. which model of Warwick that you've tried, give you the conclusion that it is not for you?

this is mainly about what you LIKE in a bass :cool:
    so please, by all mean elaborate on the positive aspect of your bass :bassist:

2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I like maple fretboards and BO necks usually. I liked the bass response of my Thumb 5 BO, however, I felt the mids/highs were not pronounced enough for my tastes. I wasn't getting that crunchy old school growl out of it.

More general than that, I just tend to like a midrange heavy tone with even lows and loud yet clear highs.

My go-to bass right now is my Geddy Lee Jazz. However, I did just pick up a 4003 today, so soon I think that'll be my go-to.

No plans for other basses atm (maybe a Lakland or MM 5-string down the road).

Hope that's enough info/answers your question.

3. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    My go to is my Pedulla Pentabuzz.

A Pedulla MVP 6.

I've tried a couple different thumbs and corvettes and I don't like the looks, the tone is just not desirable in anyway, the string spacing is always too close for me, and I don't really care for how the necks feel, and I don't like how round the necks are either.

Hope that answers your questions.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    1. a P or an ATK depending on mood
    2. a Lakland or G&L Precision of some sort
    3. a fretless 4 string version of this
    228-WarwickThumb5.
    I didn't like it because it was too small for how heavy it was, which was RIDICULOUSLY heavy, as in my ATK didn't even compare, the neck felt weirdly fat, and I didn't like the aesthetic. I liked the tone though.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Depends. For my covers gig, it is quickly becoming my Fender P/J with flats. But, I wouldn't use a Warwick for that gig anyways.

For the prog metal project I'm in, which is where I am looking for MY sound, I use my Spector 5-string. If i had a Warwick, that is the project where I would use it.

A Czech-made Spector 4-string. I had one not that long ago and foolishly sold it. The prog metal gig is going to require multiple basses in short order and the Euro 4-strings with the EMG P/J have the aggressive tone I want for that gig.

Corvette Standard, Corvette ProLine, Corvette FNA Jazzman, Corvette $$, and Thumb B/O.

Truth be told, I am something of a closet Warwick fan. I like their classic body shapes (Corvette, Thumb, Streamer) and I like the way the 4-string basses play. The string spacing is too narrow for me on the 5ers. The reason I don't play Warwicks is that they never sound like I expect them too. They sound very dark and thuddy. But, I want to like them so I keep trying them hoping that I'll find one that sounds like the tone in my head. Of course, Spectors actually give me that tone everytime, so I think that Spectors are just a better fit for me than Warwicks. But, I'm still tempted by them and may wind up with a $$ or FNA Jazzman one day.

6. I think the sound is alright, although I feel that the wenge necks with bubinga bodies has a strong attack and quick decay without a whole lot of warmth sometimes.

Most TBers who aren't a fan of Wicks tend to dislike them for the weight, balance issues on the short horn models, and the very thick neck profiles.

While I don't have a specific brand, I prefer light weight basses, PERFECT balance, and thinner neck profiles, although I'm not particularly picky on a 4 string.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wide necks and Thumbs haven't done it for me, and I once played a Corvette in a GC with a setup so bad it scared me. I dig the Spector shaped models and have 2 Streamer LX5 basses (narrow spacing on both). The fretless is older with the original JAN and the fretted on is not quite as old with the JAN II (it hasn't broken... yet). I dig the shape, feel and sound of the LXs and wouldn't mind checking out one of the MM models.