Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those who use Fender pickup and bridge covers...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    ...how do you stand them?

I just got a new 62 RI Jazz, and on a whim I installed the neck pickup cover. For about a minute. Not only could I not slap at all, the cover just happens to be where I do most of my playing.

And yet I see people playing with them all the time, and I've even seen Will Lee slap with one. I just don't get it.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The original owner of my Hot Rod P put a neck p-up cover on. I kept it on at first, didn't like it. I took it off and then for the hell of it put it back on again. Once you get used to it, you can hardly tell it's there. Give it a try, again.

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The neck ones get in the way most of the time. The bridge ones don't bother me and they look awesome though.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I first started slapping in the 70's I used the neck pickup cover on a Jazz bass as a place to rest the side of my hand. Worked great at keeping that part of my hand off the strings. As I used other basses I actually put a Fender cover on them too. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't need it anymore and could slap without accidentally muting the strings so I no longer used it.

I'd bet that's the same reason Marcus uses his and he didn't see the need to change. Now it seems restrictive but guess what...? That's what it always was;)

It's also a good thumbrest if you like that sort of thing. I just use the side of the pickups or strings or nothing at all for resting my thumb.

5. I don't slap but I find that the neck pickup cover puts my right hand in the right place