Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those with AOL 8.0 Plus

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd like any of you to check something for me that seems really strange. I went to clean my cache yesterday cuz my computer was getting really slow.

Without being signed on, please open AOL - click on "settings", then click "preferences". notice anything odd????? It's not the same when signed on so it has to be done after AOL is closed and re-initialized.

I'm asking because I've had viruses in the past and I wonder if someone has hacked into my computer or something. Just doesn't seem right to me for a company as huge as AOL.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Unfortunately, I can't help, but I will say this:

Change your ISP. I'm serious, not being a smart ass. There is nothing positive about their service.

To cancel your AOL account, call 1-888-265-8008.

Or mail AOL at P.O. Box 1600 / Ogden, UT 84401 or FAX 801-622-7969. Specify that you're cancelling, give your full name, phone number and address, and either the primary billing contact's AOL screenname or the last four digits of the current payment method. Make sure they give you a confirmation number. And if AOL continues billing you, contact the webmaster at AOL Watch.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's true Joe, you'd be better off.

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    it's been laziness that has kept me from doing so. i can have broadband for the same price i'm paying aol with my dialup service. you guys may just be pushing me over the edge - doesn't take much sometimes. :)

just 2 of the things that make me real uncomfortable about aol:

1. a while back they sent a really longass legal letter telling about changes they were adding to their agreement for members. the contract basically stated (to the best of my understanding) that as long as we were members of AOL we were pretty much giving up all our rights to privacy.

2. the other thing, which may seem minor to others, is that they blast you with negative news headlines when you sign on and there's nothing you can do to get rid of them. you can change a whole bunch of things, but not that. what the hell makes them think that negative news headlines is what the world of users wants or needs to know immediately upon sigining on? what i do on the internet has no relation to the news - if want news i'll find it, i don't want it in my face.

got lots of other gripes too - part of my reason also for staying on is a reluctance to change my email address as it's been The Nerve!'s email address for years now. Oh well..... soon.... maybe it's time i get an email address from thenerve.org.

Somebody please check what i initially asked. It has to do with the "organization" section. I really wanna see if it's something only on my computer or if it's the same on everyones.

Thanks.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    America Off Line.

The worst ISP ever. If you never do anything with your computer other than connect to AOL, at some point it will be all screwed up.

Go broadband with a local company...either Cable or DSL. You will never regret it.

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    can anyone answer my question?????

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey Joe, sorry to bombard you with off topic posts, but one thing I always advise people is not to connect your email with your ISP, just to avoid being locked in to a crappy deal. Maybe you can find a suitable email through one of the mant free services, like Yahoo mail.