1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thots on Dusty Hill?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 11, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Kind of in the vein of recent threads on Michael Anthony... What do y'all think of ZZ Top's bassist? I was watching their Live In Texas concert last night on VH-1 and really, I was kind of underwhelmed. His right-hand technique is unusual (to say the least), his tone was kind of grungy/farty and he is definitely the weak link of the band rhythmically (compared to Gibbons and Beard who are both just flat-out groove gods).

OTOH, Dusty is a helluva singer, he has that super-cool persona, seems like a great "hang" and there's really no way you could imagine the band without him.

Bottom line, he probably would fail the audition in a lot of bands, but for those guys he is just right.

Discuss.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thots?

3. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Tater thots

MonetBass likes this.
  4. Are you gonna eat your t(h)ots? :)
    On topic, agreed- he probably couldn't land any other gig, & ZZ wouldn't be w/o the man.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

He does two things in the band. Bass, he is a bit of a weak link. Vocals, the band would not be the same without him. I do agree that The Reverend Willy G and Frank Beard lay a groove a mile deep. They are so strong, that maybe they don't need that strong of a bass player. I do know that the guys all love each other, and have been friends since way back. My wife is related to Dusty. I have never got to meet any of them though. She used to ride horses with his daughter when she was a teenager.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I can only offer this saying: I solemnly swear to play the root, the whole root, and nothing but the root, so help me Dusty Hill.

Camaro, fretter and Osztertag2112 like this.
  7. LMFAO...

8. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    lmfao.
    sigged!!!

9. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Pretty much the baddest beard in show business.

10. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    making a ton of money doing what he enjoys - not bad

11. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    He does the job at hand, and there's a lot to be said for that. I think he knows exactly what he's about. A more "ambitious' bass player would be a real drag in that band.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Second only to Lee Sklar. :D

13. +1.... Ican do that too...in fact when the whole train is chuggin along I think that ONE is awesome!!!!:hyper:

shred chops are for guys(&gals ) that can't play less than 1 note per bar !!

14. Different styles for different smiles :)

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I started listening to ZZ Top 38 years ago so maybe my point of view is a little skewed, I thought he was great then and played what was perfect for the music, I haven't changed my mind!;)

p.s. the Tater thots still has me laughing.......

JMacBass65 and Larry McQueary like this.
  16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Not disagreeing with anything said here. I was just surprised how "loose" he was rhythmically in a live setting... I had always assumed he and Beard were a lot tighter, especially for how long they've been doing it. Of course a lot of that Eliminator stuff and later is sequenced bass so it's kind of hard to know how much of Dusty is actually on those records.

17. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    His brother Hank is a bit more famous. Selling propane in Arlen, TX got him his own reality show on Fox.

bryan gibson likes this.
  18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That's a good one... seriously. You should send that idea into Mike Judge... "Hank Hill's long lost brother comes home."

I bet Mike would love to draw ZZ Top into one of those episodes.

19. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    AaronVonRock likes this.
  20. I have been a ZZ Top fan for YEARS , I am a fan of Dusty Hill.. because he plays what is "NEEDED" in the band and obviously GOBS of people like it.
    I have come to appreciate that some professional bassists will forgo thier ego to play what is needed for the songs sake.
    I love his tone and you have got admit that he has some of the most unique basses out there.
    The catch here is that there is a pattern that bassists that play the just root are not good bassists.. seems like some of the most sucessful bands out there have a root playing bassist. (ie: U2, ZZ Top, Judas Priest, etc.)

Larry McQueary likes this.