Though this may not belong here.. please read.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    For the past few days, the level of flaming, disrespect, spam, and just plain rudeness has jumped. I'm not going to pick on anyone since about everyone here including myself has done or said things which may have been un-needed on this website. I'm not asking for any apology, nor will I apologize for anything that has happened. I just want to ask you guys to try and keep your cool :-\.. There's a fine line between poking fun at someone a little and downright abusing them. I'm not talking about me, I could care less about the Ebay thread, but I think we should cut NickTheBassist, and others with "different" views, a little slack :-\.. I know I have exchanged words with him, as have most of you. Could you guys just keep anything that isn't helpful or respectful to yourselves? Everywhere I look, I see people having online rampages about ERBs, Kubickis, gear, everything. It's just not worth it to argue about these things. This is supposed to be a fun, informative, good-willed board.. but the more bad stuff goes on here, the less fun it gets :meh:

My point is.. can't you guys just chill? I'll do my best to keep my cool, and I know your best is all that you can offer.. but could you atleast try your best to keep your cool?
  2. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IMO there is no line between poking fun at someone and abusing them in an internet forum.

If you do not have a existing relationship with the person, its very easy for what you consider to be "poking fun" to come across as abuse to others and to be downright hurtful to the "victim". A lot of the crap thats been visible the last few days has come about because people think they are poking fun at someone and it reads (and probably is) abuse.

Can respectfully I suggest that next time you (or anyone else)thinks about "poking fun" at someone, but especially new members, you think twice about and then don't - particularly if you dont have an existing relationship with clear boundaries.

(This is my view and does not represent the view of Talkbass etc etc)
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if one is going to express "different" views here, one had best be ready to deal with some views that are "mo' different." Go listen to NPR for a while. You'll feel better.
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I feel fine :D ... NPR?
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Didn't JT just close this thread?
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    A few threads were closed due to all out abuse from many TBers. This is just me asking people to cool off :meh: . I'm not a moderator, I just want some gosh darn peace on this board. It's everyone's board.
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I believe our kind gentleman Munji is referring to National Public Radio, also known as NPR or 91.5 in Chicago I think, which is basically talk radio full of politics and people always spout all sorts of opinions on all sorts of topics. I've never listened to it for more than a second but I know some people can't live without NPR.
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's not a problem of having "different views"...

The problem arises in the (often very disrespectful) ways those different views are expressed..

Achieving net-harmony is really very simple... Treat others how you'd like to be treated and everything should be ok... But if you choose to come across as an ass, don't cry when you get kicked...
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah.. I haven't touched one of those radio machines in years.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :meh: Even if someone acts poorly, that's no excuse to treat them poorly. A lot of us have acted poorly, but this board is collective of bass knowledge and opinion. Even if someone has done something wrong or acts poorly, it should be dicussed in private. The PM feature isn't just to ask JPJ how much that new D Huff is :smug:. Being flamed on this board is like having a dictionary yell at you for misspelling something.
  12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    There's some cool stuff on there!! Car Talk is hilarious!! Echos has some neat music** (Jazz, acoustic, electronic, avante-garde), Classical.. There's lots of stuff besides politics...

**See also Hearts of Space
  13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Excuse or no, most times you receive as good as you give whether it's here on TalkBass or in the real world... If you give grief then you should expect it back.... normally in spades.
  14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well I do wish some people here would open one up and learn the difference between then and than..

15. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm relatively new to this forum and if no one minds, I have to agree with Whafrodamus. Nothing wrong with manners and decency.

Until three years ago I was spending a lot of time in a truck running over the road and, yes, I had a CB radio. CB was a lot of fun until people started using it as a forum for rudeness and name-calling. I'd hate to see Talkbass go that way.

Before I get off my soap box, I wish political/social/economic veiws could be left at the door; IMO this site is about bass/music.
  16. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    "NPR: we employ thousands so hundreds can listen."
  17. I think there's only one solution for all this negative stuff on the board...

MORE SMILIES!! :) :hyper: :D
  18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Of course not, but you have to give respect first in order to expect it back..

Politics are forbidden in the general forums... The FAQs have a list I think... If in doubt ask a moderator.. It might prevent heartache later..

Welcome to TalkBass!!
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Group hug, everyone.:)

As Whafrodamus said, this doesn't really belong here, but in light of some of the goings on the past 24 hours, I am going to let it stay for now.