Thoughs on maple-body basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 14, 2001.

1. Hi. I saw on ebay that someone is selling a maple-bodied Brubaker 5-string with a maple neck.

So I'm wondering how this would sound. Is it safe to assume that an all-maple bass would be super-bright?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Generally yes, but it also depends on the electronics. I had a Peavey B-Quad 4. When I used it with the piezos, it was really bright. My Guild Pilot 5 had EMGs and sounded quite bassy, almost like my Alder bodied Precision. Finally, My Pedulla has Bartolinis and can sound pretty bassy too.

The amplification is also a factor. The combinations are many.

Will C.:cool:
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You might expect Super Bright, but I once owned an all maple neck through B.C. Rich that was pretty dark sounding.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It would probably be bright but if you don't want it too bright you could stay away from stainless steel strings. I have two Maple basses with composite necks. I use nickel strings and neither gets too bright for me.

Is this an NBS bass? They tend to be brighter sounding with Duncan Basslines than Barts. Nice basses. I played an NBS-1 made of Polonia that sounded great and was practically weightless ;)
  5. Yes, it's a Brubaker NBS 5-string.