1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thought experiment - my next rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smperry, Sep 29, 2008.

1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    So, as some might know, my current rig is as follows:

PJB P-1 Preamp
    Stewart World 1.6 Poweramp
    PJB 6t Cabinet
    PJB 9b Cabinet

It sounds good (to me), but it is bigger/heavier than I need. The preamp is flexible, but more than I ever use. Here's what I play - jazz, pop, jam, rock music. Possibly moving toward solo type stuff. Basses: fretted active 5 strings, fretless 5 with piezo, upright with a piezo pickup and (currently) no buffer. Gig electric way more than upright. I play small & medium size clubs and private parties, sometimes with PA support. My last two shows, I only brought the 9b cab, because to bring the whole thing would be overkill.

I'll leave out more information on my sonic tastes - just looking forward to hearing people's thoughts. I don't care about speaker size or tube versus solid state. Flexibility would be nice. I don't want or need something huge, and I don't want to spend more than the worth of my current rig.

Ok, hit me. ;)

2. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    I almost went with a PJB set up myself. Though not quite as big as your set up. As far as what to get, I have no real advice. It's so subjective. I can tell you that I ended up going with an Aguilar (Only 18 pounds and has a padded bag with shoulder strap to carry it) and decided to have a 212 cab with some nice portability options made. So far I really like the head and I have not recieved the cab yet. Hit me up when you have a show in Oakland, I would like to come check it out.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks. I'm playing a show in a few weeks (10/17) in SF, but nothing set for Oakland right now. A small head rather than the pre/power rack is definitely appealing if there's something that would work. I'd love to go in that direction with a light cab or two.

M

4. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    I hear you, lugging gear is a bitch. I just dumped my long time Ashdown setup because it became to much carry up and down the stairs. I have an Aguilar AG500SC and an Eden WTX-260 that you are welcome to try out. The Eden probably is not the size you would need, but your welcome to try it anyway. Send me a PM and we can set something up.

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    No specific suggestions for me? :confused: