Thought on gutting out a p-bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by i hate username, Aug 4, 2009.

1. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Right got this hohner arbour p-bass a couple of years ago.

CIMG1101.jpg CIMG1102.jpg

When i got it it was in a pretty bad state(pups shielding was cracked,no tone nob, no nut,neck needed to be reset etc.)

Still i figured free bass might as well fix it up because apart from new pick ups all fixing it up would cost me was my time and a few new screws.

After getting it working i found that it is actually one of the nicest basses ive played.The neck is the most comfortable thing ever. Now i want to do some majour work to it and was hoping i could get a few opinions from you guys here.

Heres what im definitly doing. Im routing for a second pup and installing an audere pre. For the second pup im thinking a mm style pick up and would like your oppinions on which would be the best or if any of you know of a better combination.Also should i change the emg's. Ive never had a problem with them but that doesnt mean theere arnt better out there. CIMG1113.jpg

Im not exactly stuck for room so fitting the pre amp shouldnt be a problem.
    CIMG1114.jpg

I also want to move the jack from the front to the side.

Other things i could use your oppinions on are the bridge and the tuners. Change/leave.

CIMG1109.jpg CIMG1110.jpg
    Probably going to swap out the tuners but oppinions are always welcome.

Lastly i want to get it repainted,I am absolutly in love with some of the alleva coppolo paint jobs at the mo and im thinking i might have to rip one off

This is probably going to take a year at least to get everthing i want done because i dont have the cash to buy everything right away so ill be buying pits and pieces as i get spare cash.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not really my thing, but yeah, go for it. Especially since it was free!

Will you be putting the MM at the bridge, or at the neck? Either way, I'd opt for one of the four-wire variety, so you can run it series/parallel/split coil with a DPDT on-on-on switch. But that's just me. I have a SD SMB-4D (ceramic magnet version) wired this way in my 8-string, and I like it.

The bridge actually looks pretty beefy, so I'd leave it for now. Tuners too. Spend your money on things that will increase your tonal palette instead.

3. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting! I just posted a new thread asking for help indentifying my circa '70's Hohner P-bass. Mine is gutted, as the photos show. My guess is that it came with a bigger pup in it and was mounted to the pick guard. Not sure what I will go back with yet, or if I will have 1 or 2 pups. Any thoughts? You can find my thead by searching on "Hohner". You might enjoy the photos if nothing else. Good luck on your project!

4. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Yeah your one is a good bit older then mine,doubt it had a p-bass pup in,looks like more of a humbucker type in there.

I was gonna put the mm pup close the bridge,just after the pickguard. Yeah bridge probably gonna stay,still a bit undecided bout the tuners.

5. I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread. The thing is that I am considering, for fun's sake, a similar Hohner Arbor Series p-bass (80's, Korean made, if I am not mistaken). The neck looks pretty good to me (1-piece decent maple), but I'm curious as to how the body is constructed.

The pictures above make me doubt... Plywood? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

6. It's hard to tell; it could well be plywood, or it might just be the tool marks from multiple passes when it was carved.

Either way, nothing wrong with plywood for a beater bass! ;)

Nekomata likes this.
  7. Cheers! And my thoughts exactly...

I've started a thread on the Hohner Arbor series in 'Basses'. Perhaps the mystery will be solved over there...

Jimbob Jones likes this.
  8. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    They definitely use plywood on cheap knock offs. To be honest, it's probably more stable and if painted a solid color, you'd probably never know.
    (They didn't try too hard to hide it on this one)
    KIMG1775.JPG

Nekomata likes this.
  9. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    To be honest, I'd have no problem making a body out of high grade plywood if I planned on painting it a solid color.

Nekomata and Jimbob Jones like this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    A lot of older inexpensive import guitars and basses were made out of laminated wood. These are basically stacked veneers of lauan and are nothing like the plywood we use in construction. They use full sheets of hardwood veneer, not stacks of softwood full of voids like we're used to round these parts. They end up being stable, strong and consistent, the only downside is they can sometimes be heavy. :thumbsup:

Nekomata likes this.
  11. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Yes, I would only use something like a cabinet grade birch ply.
    Not the crap they use as sheeting or underlayment in construction.
    Well, maybe not at the moment, since nice plywood is currently $12,000 a sheet.

12. Nothing wrong with a ply body. As stated above, it’s not CDX construction type plywood. I have made several Danelectro style bodies with 1/4” birch ply for the top and backs and there’s nothing wrong with it. If you like it, no reason not to keep it. However, if you want to build a new body, well, there’s one or two guys here who might be able to give some advice... :smug:

Nekomata and Beej like this.
  13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Right? I have five sheets I'd forgotten about that I pulled out from the side of the shed this weekend and my wife wanted to toss them out. Despite the mud, mold and rot, we can't afford to replace them. :D

14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Congrats, you now have five sheets of spalted plywood, worth at least $24,000 a sheet!

Beej and wraub like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021