Thought this might be helpful...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004

For those of you that don't have a bunch of fancy programs on your computers and draw your original designs by hand, I figured that the above image might be of some help. It's probably helped me through the designing of my bass more than anything. The first line is the nut, then the twelth fret, 24th fret, end of fingerboard (obviously depends on your design), and bridge. It's set up for 4 strings with 34" scale, with each square being 2²". Obviously, seeing as it was made in paint, the neck width won't be exact, but it's close enough for first drafts. You'll need to draw the lines from the fingerboard end to the nut. I didn't put them on this because they just looked pixelated and were not to my liking.

The best way I've found of getting the designs to full scale is to get ahold of an overhead projector, and make a transparency of the drawing. Tape a large piece of paper/cardboard to the wall and trace the outline that the projector makes.

Hope it helps...
  2. Wow Thanks alot for this. This has made it all much easier!
  3. I have something a little more exact than that. It's a template one of my friends got from Bud. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it (it is Bud's work), but PM me and I can show you.
    Set up for 6 strings, 35" scale, and has bridge, neck, and p'ups already drawn. I've added 12th fret dots and erased the headstock (not the tuners though) for my own purposes. If Budman gives me the go-ahead I can post my version.
  4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    *cough my version*

Bud generously gave me that when he was trying to show me how to drae in scale, I kep drawing a bass that would be 17-19" wide, and he gave me a template to help me out and it really did. I was very gracious.

5. *cough changed it from your version*
  6. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for this man! i'm in the process of building my own bass, and this was just in time for my design stage!

just wondering, will this fit on a regular sheet of paper? i think a regular sheet is 8.5"x11" or something like that.
  7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Ideally, you'd want to draw it full-scale. Get hold of some packing paper, or anything that comes in a roll. That way you have lots of the same width paper (minimum 15" wide!) and you can just roll it out on your table, draw, then when you have a different idea, cut it off, roll out some more, and so on, and so on...

Or, you can do it in a CAD program, put it on disk, and take it to Kinko's to print out on their $25000 plotter...;) :D
  8. Wow, there seems to be alot of coughing going on in this thread. Might I suggest some Delsym???

9. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    does the bridge line indicate the top of the bridge or bottom of the bridge?
  10. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    It actually indicates the scale length. It's at 34".
  11. "Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. "Aw s***. Oh yeah - Kinkos. That will not remain singular."
  12. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    cad program isnt very easy a lot of the time. but WELL worth it. being able to take exact measurements instantly, find corner radii, etc. is a beautiful thing.