Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts?: 110 coax, DIY option, Eden CX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dewees, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    1. Is the speaker in the Eden CX110 the Eminence Beta 10CX? It sure looks like it.

2. Check this out. This is a kit that uses the Eminence Beta 10CX coaxial speaker with a compression driver which seems better matched to the speaker than the Eminence driver. This cabinet is a little smaller than the Eden CX110. $150 incldes the speakers, crossover and hardware. But you have to buy the wood and build it too.

http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/monitors/kithe10_1.htm

3. Does any one know of 10 inch coaxial options to consider other than the Eden and the Eminence Beta 10CX?

I have been thinking about a really flexible multi-use cabinet (studio monitor/PA/bass/guitar) because I am tired of housing and hauling all this stuff. A 110 coax would be great. I love coaxial speakers. Nothing is as focused as a coaxial speaker. The imaging you get from stereo pair of coaxial speakers is unparalleled. Long ago I had two Altec 604s for my stereo. Wish I still had 'em.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    1. As far as I know, Eden make their own drivers.

2. It looks like a good little PA Mid-high speaker but I don't know that it will work all that well for bass. By my calcs it's -3dB at 72Hz. Oh all that stuff in the blurb about "anechoic bass response down to 70 Hz. In-room, expect flat bass response to the low 50s/upper 40s" - that's is a bit of an exageration.

3. Does it have to be 10 inch? As a bass speaker, I'd be looking at something bigger.

3. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    The Beta 10 CX looks like a neat speaker for a couple applications. But bass guitar is not really one of them.

4. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    Looking at the pictures now, it looks like the Eden has a larger voice coil. I seriously doubt if Eden actually manufactures their own drivers. If they did, they'd be selling raw drivers all over the place. I suspect that Eminence makes these to Eden's specs. I think it's Eminence because they are the only manufacturers of a 10 inch coax I can find and the 90 degree horn with the screw-in driver is exactly the same. Also, you can see on both speakers that the horn is behind the dust cap rather than protruding through it, as do most coax speakers. Also, both spec the tweeter to 20KHz, whereas the usual Eden horn is spec'd to 14 KHz. But this is not the exact same speaker. Eden specified a larger voice coil for higher sensitivity. The Eminence is rated 96 db at 1watt/1 meter/1KHz, the Eden is 98 db. On the other hand, the Eden's published power handling is only 200 watts, the Eminence is 250. It appears that what they wanted was to be able to spec the sensitivity to 98 db.

2. It looks like a good little PA Mid-high speaker but I don't know that it will work all that well for bass. By my calcs it's -3dB at 72Hz. Oh all that stuff in the blurb about "anechoic bass response down to 70 Hz. In-room, expect flat bass response to the low 50s/upper 40s" - that's is a bit of an exageration.[/QUOTE]

The specs Eminence provides are for the speaker in an infinite baffle. A properly tuned cabinet is required for bass extension in all currently available cabinets. The published specs on the Eden CX110 are 36HZ - 20 kHZ. Since they don't specify a +/- db range (and they do so for the David series,) my assumption is that they are actually down 10 db at 36 hz. And several posters here have noted that they don't actually seem to go down as low as they claim. So, yes, I think that neither of these actually approach a useable 40 Hz, let alone 31.

3. Does it have to be 10 inch? As a bass speaker, I'd be looking at something bigger. [/QUOTE]

I'd just love to get a multi-application coax in a lightweight cabinet. Subs might be in order for some applications. In that case., you could go even smaller with an 8-inch coax. Eminence has one of them too. And there's also a kit for it with a flatter compression driver than Eminence's. Sensitivity is 93 db/watt/meter across most of its range. By comparison, the Eminence Delta 12LF is rated at 94db over most of its range.