Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thoughts about Myspace.com

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I used to say I was new to myspace, but I've been there long enough now to get the gyst of what goes on. I've been wodering a few things lately and I wonder what others thoughts on this are.

I used to be hugely impressed by people who have 40,000 friends. Then I learned how they do it. Basically by sitting by their computers for hours on end inviting people. Yet I still sometimes think it looks impressive. On the other hand I think it looks like these bands and people are obsessive fools that have nothing better to do than sit click "be my friend" all night long. I did it a couple of times, and felt stupid... what are your thoughts on this stuff?????

What are your thoughts regarding myspace for promotional purposes in general? How effective is it? Is it worth spending an hour a night collecting friends - if they go to your page and hear your music it would seem so? I'm rambling....

Please just spit out your myspace thought regarding band promo. What do you do? Is it effective? etc...

www.myspace.com/thenerverocks

www.myspace.com/joenerve

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    best things since friendster.com, makeoutclub.com, and facebook.com

its been done before. we have one for our band, it defintelty gets us a lot of shows.

i like it.

i also like skinny girls in there underwear.

3. I just see it as another promotional tool.

Propaganda is good, send out blogs and notices that will reach your "friend base" and eventually their friends, and who knows, you may get some more interest out of it....

Just another tool.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I actually use it quite extensively to keep in touch with friends. Everyone in my list is someone I know in "real life". The bands I know that use it for promotion are very happy with their results.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I signed up for myspace and music.myspace recently.

I mostly like it. I think that there are a lot of 'myspace whores' that spend all their time taking quizzes and customizing their pages with obnoxious graphics and movies+ they have thousands of friends, not saying those people can't be cool people, but it does annoy me whenever I happen upon some of the more decorated pages.

As far as myspace music goes. I figured, "what's the harm in this?" maybe I'll get a couple people listening to my stuff and they'll actually enjoy it enough to want to hear more, that's cool, if not, well, that's cool too.

In theory, myspace could be a valuable tool for actually making a decent amount of cash. Assuming you had an album(or 2) to sell, and your music page just happened to be popularized with thousands of views.

So yea, listen to my music and give me money :p
    www.myspace.com/wrao

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Myspace has done some good for our band, when everything seemed to be falling apart, we met some people that inspired us to go back to the drawing board and keep working at it, with the few shows we have played we got a few devoted fans, and they can see whats going on with us when we get a chance to update.

www.myspace.com/NefariousDeathSquad
    or is it?:

www.myspace.com/NDS

it is one of those.

7. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I agree that it can be a good tool. However, it's really easy to get sucked in to myspace and waste alot of time sitting there looking at stupid chicks etc... It has gotten some people out to some shows and turned some people on to my real website, but other than that I try to stay clear of becoming the "myspace whore."

8. I just started up our Myspace page a few months ago and had a boner for getting as many hot chicks and bands as possible. But I cut it off at 500 and it has since grown to over 1100 without me doing anything. I joined groups (mostly band fansites of bands we consider influences) and the group members request to be our friends.

The band has relocated a few times and fans from college have spread to the four winds. Many have reconnected with us because of Myspace.

Granted, I have Laetitia Casta as our image, so that doesn't hurt either.

Where I've found the most benefit is when you're inviting friends to shows and you can search within a given radius of a particular club. If you're gigging often, and your shows are at least 10 miles apart, you search those people within a 5 mile radius and you're not inviting the same people all the time.

Here's the kicker: My band used to have a message board, which was stupid. Myspace eliminates that and adds a whole lot of extra content (read: eye candy) for people to scope out while they listen to your songs.

BE MY FRIEND!!! www.myspace.com/shagginwagon

9. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    We use it. I dont know, I like the idea of easy contact with other bands, but I really hate the whole be my friend/invite thing. Luckily I dont have much to do with it, our singer and guitar player do most of the stuff at myspace.
    It really hasnt increased the crowd at our shows much, but it has helped book shows with other bands.

So Joe, be my friend? :D
    www.myspace.com/ashadebelow

10. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I think its a great! We've gotten a bunch of gigs from it and I like how you can easily keep in touch with other bands. While updating you show dates and showing off you mp3s.

http://www.myspace.com/scott_smith

htpp://www.myspace.com/perfectshade

11. Desi

Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    Well, I used to have an account there, but I terminated it. I'm much too busy to keep track of it, let alone send invites and all that required jazz that's associated with the "be my friend" system. I may start a new account someday, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I think MySpace can be very helpful. I know a band near me that would get maybe 20 people to a show. Then they released a cd and advertised it on MySpace and has sold hundreds of copies.

13. So far it's been fun, and I'm adding nothing but real life friends and people/bands I know. As soon as we get a singer, our band will have a page too. It's a good way to build friendships with other bands and get fans to listen to your music. Many of my friends' bands have fans in the US, western Canada, etc.

14. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    My space has helped my band sell cd's and make new fans from people coming to shows. I'm all for it. And yes, we have someone that spends time every day adding friends, and yes I think its good. There are 50-100 new people hearing it every day, some like it, some dont.

www.myspace.com/goldenstate

p.s. If there are any bands on the west coast that would like to trade a show in their area for one in the Bay area let me know and we can set one up.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my thoughts on myspace, revised.

-band gets more fans
    -band gets shows easier
    -people can hear our new jam on myspace
    -hot half nekkid girls who post hot half nekkid pictures of themselves.
    -the comedy that can come from a tool box who has myspace.
    -did i mention half nekkid girls?

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think its a great promo tool. It's helped our band alot. Good way to keep in contact with promoters, other bands, etc.. When I first discovered it, they hadn't started myspace music yet. So I spent most of my time lurking around collecting hot girls, that I'll proabably never meet. :rollno:

Now I mostly go on there for band related stuff. Free web hosting is very cool. Some bands use it as their primay website.

My only complaint is when people post links to their band on my band or on other band's pages...that annoys the hell out of me.

http://www.myspace.com/fallfromgrace

17. As for those 40,000+ people, even though we have a small amount, if i invite people, it's usually because they have similar musical tastes and would probably like us, or they're just talkbass members. Hi Joe!

www.myspace.com/atroopofechoes

18. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Has the other Myspace thread been killed? I can't seem to locate it now.

19. IMO, it's one amazing promotion site. In my case, we haven't even starting gig yet, but we already gather certain amount of fans from the area...It would definitly help us on our first gig on friday. So all i have to say is myspace is awesome!!!

oh..of course, can't forget a little shameless promotion...add us if you like the music...
    http://www.myspace.com/shadowofyesterday

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses