1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thoughts about rig setup and configuration.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sunn, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I currently own and run out of a 72 Sunn 190B tube amp. I have 2 1X15" Lopo Line cabinets loaded with Eminence Deltas. I am happy. As some of you know, I use effects (POG and Hot Tubes +Chorus mainly), but also like to shut all of them off and hear the amp tone. My amp is very loud but controlled for sure.
    My Girlfriend uses a VERY dominating Sunn Beta Lead SS amp plus lots of EHX goodies and she says I don't have enough LOW END...she and I get into lots of arguments when I start cutting lows and boosting mids just to be heard and balance with the drummer.

Well that aside, I just got an Acoustic Control 220 amp.

I was thinking that I wanted to use the Sunn for Tube sounds and the Over Drive (valve) effects and somehow get another 2 1X15 cabinets w/8ohm impedance and use the 220 for the chorus, POG and delay etc. This way I can maintain the growl from the Hot Tubes along withe the nice Tube Warmth of the Sunn, and still get the delay, chorus and expressive middy stuff from the other, SS amp.

If this is impossible or too far fetched an idea, please stop me before I accidentally electrocute myself :eek:
    I am using a Fender Jazz 24 currently, and I am in the process of getting a Gibson USA Thunderbird bass to use on songs that need even more boom.

2. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My real question is, "What gear or connections will I need to buy in order to accomplish this?"
    Thanks!

Sunn

3. so your question is how to use two full rigs?

look for a line out on one of the heads..send it to the input of the other head.

effects send / tuner out also work.

4. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the response!

Yeah, that is what I am looking to do.

But I really want to have the rigs independent of each other---I guess stereo?
    See I am obviously more of a player and less of a technical know how guy...:(

I want to have effects ON on one and the other rig fully clean tone.

But my guitar only has one cable coming from it...:confused:

Believe me, just asking this stuff is waaaay over my head! I have had this idea of 2 "independent" rigs used at the same time, but I was not sure it is something I can practically do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

5. Search for A/B/Y boxes here in the amps section, or over in effects. An ABY box splits your signal and will allow you to do exactly what you want.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's easy. Use a stereo effects pedal, sent each output to each amps input. Since you like delay, get a stereo version, and your delays will bounce back and forth between the two amps.

7. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    THANK YOU MATT!!

/thread

That is exactly what I mean, man!
    I love this forum...soooo much easier and helpful than the dudes at Guitar Center. Now I can go down there and pick it up without wasting my dang time.

Rickenboogie--sounds almost like what I meant, but I really really want the Sunn amp to not have any effects on it except for the Hot Tubes.

~Sunn

8. But wouldn't that mean that the delay would have to be on all the time? EDIT: Nevermind that, don't know what I was thinking. ha But it would HAVE to be first in the chain, and it's been my experience that most effects used after delay make for a muddy mess.

He needs and ABY box.

OR, if one of the amps has a line out, I'd think that you could put the effects in between the line out of one amp and the input of the other. Not 100% on that though.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There are several ways around it, one being a stereo delay AFTER an A/BY box. But, the clean amp could still be clean, except for having half of the delay effect. He'll work it out.