Thoughts and observations from yesterday's "test drives"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troutbum22, May 6, 2012.

1. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    Thought I would post some thoughts and observations about some "test drives" from yesterday.

Disclainmer: I'm not a professional player and right now only play at my beloved little Church on Sundays (southern gospel). I do like to play around with other genres like beach music, motown, blues, southern rock, but as far as my knowledge on bass guitars goes, I don't know a whole lot compared to most of you. I need all the help I can get.

Here's a list of my current equipment:

Dean Edge 5 String
    US made Peavey Foundation 4
    Schecter Omen Extreme 4 in Vintage
    Carvin MB15 Micro combo
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Traynor TC115 cab

I recently started getting the hankerin for a new bass, as most of us get. I have settled on a passive instrument and set my budget at $600-$700. I will buy used, but not online. I like to lay my hands on guitars before spending money. So I went out yesterday to "test drive" a few and wanted to share my thoughts in hopes this may be of some help to others. These were played througha couple of different Kustom and Ampeg combos. I tried to keep everything as even as I could as I had to go to a couple different shops.

G&L Tribute SB-2
    I really liked the sound of this one a lot. No tone control, but you could still get a lot of different sounds out of it. The pickups did have some buzz/hum to them when the back pickup was not 100% on. Deffinitely a lot of low end on this guitar. The neck was great (rosewood, which I prefer). The basswood body was light and had a good fit. If I bought one, it would definitely be the red model. I didn't like the hum from the pick ups and the pick guard felt kinda cheap.

G&L Tribute JB-2 (sunburst with maple)
    Awsome guitar. If it had a rosewood fingerboard, I would have bought it yesterday. The pick ups are a little noisy and I would have them switched out probably. Fit and finish were great. You can get just about any sound you want out of this guitar. I really like the body style.

G&L Tribute L-2000 - just to play it
    Even though I'm set on passive, I picked one of these up just to play it. The # of different sounds is almost endless. I didn't think I would like the bigger neck profile, but was amazed at how it really didn't bother me. No doubt about it, this is a great instrument, but I want something on a more simple note. Too many switches for me.

Fender MIM P-Bass (sunburst with rosewood)
    Brand new MIM, This one turned out to be my favorite. Even though it needs more of a set up, I was surprised to find that I liked the Fender the best of all. It's a Fender #1, but most of the MIM's that I've ever picked up didn't grab me like this one did. Great finish, great sound, great neck. What else can I say.

Overall, If I bought Monday (shops here are closed on Sunday), The Fender MIM P-bass would be the top choice and the G&L Tribute JB-2 would be my second choice even though it doesn't have a maple fingerboard.

These are just some thoughts and my opinions. If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to share.

2. In my opinion, I'd go for the MIM Precision. You like it most, so go for it. Just don't settle on the P; there are other fish in the sea. Best of luck!

3. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    Not stuck on a P-bass, but I prefer the P-bass style of body. prolly why I liked the JB-2 so much. Either one I would upgrade some components, have a setup done, and a new set of LaBellas Deep Talkin Flats thrown on. Might just part with the Schecter and buy both....yeah that's the ticket :)

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021