thoughts, comments on Trey's Charlie Rose interview...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, May 27, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    well - whaddya think?!
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Is this the Phish guy interview? I just saw it. I have never cared for the band, but my respect for the individual grew immensely. Articulate and likable person.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm with you, on both counts. I watched the interview last night with two very hardbitten Phisheads; they've done the traveling gypsy routine for years. Trey's level-headed explanation of the breakup seemed to reach them pretty effectively. My respect for Trey has been pretty strong for many years, but if they actually do stay retired, it'll be that much stronger.
  4. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Anyone have a transcript of this?
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm sure it will be repeated soon - there's also another one next week. I think a lot of people are shocked when they actually here what these guys have to say - these aren't your run of the mill stupid stoners (for great insight into the band check out the Bittersweet Motel dvd). I found it interesting that Mike (bass) was the only one who wanted to try and still make it work. Trey didn't seem to want to talk about Mike's reaction at all. Although he did commend him for his great work on the Kottke/Gordon Clone cd. Trey has always sort of been the spokesman but it would be really nice to hear what the other guys have to say. I guess they're going out like Seinfeld. Coventry will be a special time for sure...
  6. I can email it to you. What's your email address?
  7. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I really wanted to see the show but I missed it. I got the news a little late. Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to see Phish before they hang up their hats.
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks man!!
  9. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i think trey did a great job. i mean, how do you explain to thousands of fans that give up portions of their daily lives to follow you around that this is the end of the line? i can understand from a musicians standpoint because when you play in a band you give a part of yourself to every member of that band and after a while (actually in their case 21 years) you want that part back. he said in the interview that they were beyond lucky to have achieved what they did...if only we could be so lucky...
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I still find this behavior to be weird. I know it's just me, but that's how I feel. No disrespect.
  11. Just saw your post this morning. Just sent the email.
  12. I agree. I think many of those folks mustn't have much of a life, and live vicariously through the shared experience of someone else's performance. :confused:
  13. It's more than just the music and the band's performance. I consider myself a Phish fan, but only saw them live a handful of times. The community that was created around the Phish shows was just as attractive as the band. I am not knocking the band here, I am just saying that these concerts were fun. The scene in the parking lots were a trip. Everyone was always happy and having fun. I had a blast everytime I went. I met many close friends and many others that shared very similar interests.

Having said that, I have been to up to 8-10 Widespread Panic concerts almost every year for the past 7 years or so (and I did it for the same reasons as I described above), but have never actually "followed" them from town to town. The people that actually follow large legs of the tour have to be younger and have a little less responsibility than us older guys. I have also seen some older hippies and fans out there that make the tour. They operate on a different wavelength, no doubt. At my present stage in life, I could never afford to do something like that (my wife, although a fan herself, would not appreciate me quitting work for months on end to go to concerts), but for the people that make that decision, I say more power to them. They have more balls than I do, and will probably look back on some happy memories one day. They are traveling and seeing the world with friends while I am sitting behind a desk crunching numbers and counting beans for some rich guy somewhere.
  14. i have one question....what are you guys talking about? is this a tv show everyone saw but me?
    sorry to butt in like this, but i want to know whats going on.

15. It was an interview w/ Trey from Phish. He discussed there recent breakup.
  16. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i have met folks on tour that truly have no lives and i've met folks who make quite a good living selling their wares. they bounce from tour to neighbor, who owns his own business, regularly went on tour, usually selling beer and gatorade. he'd leave with a couple of hundred bucks in his pocket and come back with a couple of thousand. touring was always good business and lots o' fun to boot. i met my wedding phtographer at a Phish show.