Thoughts on 1 volume for basses with 2 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 19, 2005.

1. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    title says it all.

What are your thoughts on a J\J or P\J bass that wires both pickups to one master volume. no way to make any pickup louder than the other.
  2. Well.. when I cut some volume on my neck pickup; the growl will increase on my Jbass. So I wouldn't do it, it will limit your tonal abilities. Or you must wire it with a balance pot :p
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    You limit yourself tine-wise.

If you're OK with that - then do it.

But considering the work and the fact that you can't change it on the fly - I don't think it's worth it. Especially considering setting the two volume controls at the same volume isn't really hard.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Depends on what your needs are and what you're trying to accomplish.

would be perfectly fine for someone who doesn't want/need to adjust pup mix - and likes a darker tone for the most part.

I rarely have any onboard controls in the bass and usually a single pup. Tieing pups together wouldn't work for me cause I typically used just enough neck to fatten the bridge. When I found stand alone bridge pups I dropped neck pups altogether for the most part. But things change so who knows what's next.

To me the main issue with having no pup mix would be one of losing tonal flexibility. The volume thing is more an irritation than anything.
  5. For those of us who like Volume Swelling (Me), I think its great. Controlling to volumes evenly isnt always as easy as it seems.

If you're gonna do it, I'd suggest wiring with a Blend pot.
  6. Timothy B. Schmit of the Eagles wires his two Jazz pickups in series and then uses only a volume control (no tone control)

I did a switchable series mod on my PJ and I use the series mode 90% of the time. I tend to run in this mode most of the time with my tone control wide open, so I know exactly where he's coming from.

with that said...why not have the flexibility available anyway?
  7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I prefer a single volume pot for two pickups, along with a blend. With this setup, I can change the overall volume without changing my tone. Or, I can shift between pickup balances without having an increase or decrease in overall volume. Of course, the cool thing about two separate pickup volume knobs is that you can boost or cut a single pickup without detracting anything from the other. Just two different ways of changing your tone. :)
  8. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    +1 on the volume swells. Unless you want to add a volume pedal, swells are pretty hard to do with 2 volume pots.
  9. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

I'm planning to mod my fretless J from VVT to VBT soon.
  10. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    On a project p/j of mine, I put in some pups I had lying around. The P from a fernandes and the j from a carvin. Sounds pretty good but then I added a pull up series parallel vol. which bypasses the j vol. and it's like a boost with the best bass thump from the p and highs from the j. If I were to do just a one knob job, I'd wire them in series.
  11. WesC

Nov 18, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah I wired my J bass up with a single volume and a blend pot. I find it a lot easier to get the sound I'm after. And for some reason when I glance down at the knobs I know better what's going to on.

I agree with it being easier to change volume without changing your tone.

To each their own I guess.
  12. Just thought I'd say that many of Fender's wiring plans are available at:-

For anyone planning to muck about, these might be invaluable.

13. Use a single volume knob and a blend knob. It just makes things easier.