Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on 18s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blown240, Feb 28, 2006.

1. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    I want more low end in my rig. I am considering adding a single 18 cab.

I already have an 8x10, and a friend is getting me a cab with just 4 tweeters in it. I think the 18 would be a nice addition.

Any thoughts?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    A typical 1x18 cab isn't going to have enough volume to keep up with your other stuff. Practically any 8x10 in existence is going to have MUCH higher efficiency, meaning it'll be a lot louder at any specific wattage. Put it this way - if you put 300 watts into your 8x10, and 300 watts into a 1x18, you probably won't even be able to hear the 1x18 at all. The 8x10 will completely bury it.

To use an 18" speaker with an 8x10, you'll either need to keep the 8x10 turned down quite a bit, you'll need an 18 that'll handle a LOT of wattage along with a power amp to provide that wattage, or you need about 8 18" speakers to get in the ballpark of your 8x10's efficiency. Or some combination of the above - 4 very efficient high wattage 18's might get you there.

As you can see, it's not really a viable set up. Most 1x18's are paired with at most a 4x10, but in my personal experience they go best with a typical 2x10.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My thought is that I want one of these: http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?pdf=21L50.pdf

Who knows why, I just do. Well the other reason is as part of generally being an arse, I want to be able to subharmonic a normal four string and retain the fundamental. Oh and I have ERB plans for the future (beyond the 6 I'm aquiring).

4. Why would you need an 18" driver for low end? I'd look at some 2/4x12s and some 2x15s.

Just a thought, because although bigger speakers generally provide more 'whoomph' than smaller ones, you lose a lot of definition.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I think that if you want serious low end and sub frequencies then an 18 would be the way to go. But I would bi amp the rig and have as was said before a high wattage speaker with lots of power for it. If your getting the cab with just horns then I would think about tri amping the rig to get the most from it. No point giving the 18s the highs that it cant reproduce as well and vice versa for the horns. But I would go for a dedicated sub speaker as opposed to a full range thing that most bass amp manufacturers offer.

If you want a full range 18 for lows then you might as well go with 15's or even 12. Then again Im far from an expert on these matters...or most matters for that part.

6. I run an SWR Big Ben 18" along with my Hartke 410XL both from an SWR Bass 350 (so no crossover and no separate power) and it sounds great! I am very happy with my set up!

Good luck!

7. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    Ultimatly I would like to have a GK 1001RB for my 8x10 and then have a 2 channel power amp for the tweeters and the 18.

Its all running thru my rack first so I could play arround with all the settings seperatly.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can think of very few situations where an 8X10 wouldn't have enough volume, low end, air moving, etc.

9. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    I am playing an upright bass thru mine, its not moud enough at all.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Funny, I can't think of any situation where an 810 wouldn't be loud enough...
    :bag:

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Upright through an 8-10 and an 18. That's novel. You should go over to the double bass side of TB and ask them for suggestions on this rig. :)

12. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    From what I have read, the other side of the forum isnt really into punk and psychobilly.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Got a chuckle out of that one. :smug: