Thoughts on a G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Two days ago I tried out a G&L (PJ pups) for the first time, and i wasn't very impressed with the tone. The strings were broken in nicely (bright yet not harsh) and i bypassed the eq on three heads+cabs similar to mine. I thought the tone was quite thin, not enough bottom. Body was oddly shaped and the neck was a bit slow for my liking. Anyone got similar experiences?
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    P and J pickups? Haven't palyed that model. Try and L2000, L2500, Asat. Those basses are anything but wimpy. I always thought their necks were fine.
  3. I played a G&L L2000 at Guitar Center once. Sound wise, it was a beast. No matter how i switched it or toned it, it was LOUD. Not only that, it sounded awesome. The only thing bad was the lack of a pickguard. Too bad it was $500 above my budget.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001

I don't know what model that was, I've never seen one before with p/j pups. I second what cb56 said, try an L-2000 or L-2500.

The G&L 'L' series basses have one of the most robust tones of any bass in their price range. They also have one of the most versatile tonal ranges.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it was a PJ it was more than likely an SB2.

Try an L2500, L2000, L1500, L1505 or an ASAT.

Great sounding basses!

Here's a pic of the SB2.

6. Yeah, probably an SB2. Here's a lefty one:
  7. embellisher

Stingray, all of the pictures that you post of basses are always backwards!:p
  8. its like looking into an opposite twisted universe.....the opposite twisted universe of the left handed bass player.....creepy..
  9. embellisher

When are you gonna put some strings on that Jazz?;)
  10. Maybe you came across a very rare dud, which I have never seen one myself! :)

I have an L-2000, an L-2500 and an SB-2 which is the one you played.

IMO, the G&L SB-2 is the best passive bass that Leo Fender ever designed. Mine absoultely sounds fantastic and after buying it, I finally sold the last of my Fenders which were both exceptionally good examples of 70's Precision basses. I've owned 6 very good Fender basses over the years, and my SB-2 smokes all of them.

I don't know what you experienced exactly - I play mine through an Eden WT-400 and and 410XLT cab with the EQ completely flat and my SB-2 sounds incredibly warm and as big as a house. Perhaps you just happened across a less stunning example (which there aren't too many of).

Although I love my L series G&L's for their versatility, there's still a certain 'organic' quality about my SB-2 that he others don't quite have. If I could only have one bass it would be my SB-2.

Maybe you should seek out another example - it may prove to be better.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    next thing you know, spock's going to have a beard. :D
  12. those Pic looks like a scene from the Blair Witch Project!!