Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on aluminum Pick Guard ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurtmon, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I am thinking of building an aluminum pg, for my p-bass and then haveing it powder coated, any pros or cons to this idea?

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't know anything about powder coating, but aluminium is fine for a pickguard material. As long as the powder will adhere to aluminium, you're in business. Make sure to ground it properly, and you'll get great shielding properties. And for your hand's sake, make sure to grind or bevel the edges ;).

3. I like the Idea...just leave it natural, however...possibly a brushed finish...it would look very cool...P-basses are generally regarded as a "workingman's bass" and what better way to further express that vibe than with an aluminum pickguard...

very cool!

4. I like the idea too... lightweight, good looking (if polished it'll look like chrome, that's one property of aluminum)

BUT, as a welder/fabricator.... beware of aluminum. It is a really scratch-able material.

Maybe your pick won't hurt it too much... but watch out for anything else that might come in contact with the pickguard. Per example, you could easily scratch it if you use DAVA control picks...

If you do it, i'll like to see it :)

best regards - bd

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, if you do decide to leave it plain, you may chrome polish it, then laquer it. This will keep it from oxidizing, and also make polishing unnecessary

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Looks cool, but be sure to bring a towel to wipe up the dripping blood from your tore up hand . . . I had the misfortune of sitting in at a blues jam once where the bassplayer had an aluminum pickguard. Ouch. Not very player friendly at all. Looked great, though!

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have gold anodized aluminum pickguards on two of my P Basses.

8. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I am going to make sure all the edges are smooth.like a babys but :eyebrow:

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Also, you could buy one of those plastic "mirror" ones that just have thin alumnium film on them. I put one on my Jazz, set me back about 10 bucks or so and looked very nice and shiny.

I don't think it needs coating, though, unless you want the polished look. Alumnium oxidizes easily but that first thin layer that forms protects the rest of the material. This is the reason why scratches on alu won't spoil the whore surface.

10. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    how awkward...

11. I wonder if the powdercoated options on this website below reduce the sharpness of any edges. Naked aluminum available also, but edges can indeed be sharp, even after awhile on the market. Examined a brushed aluminum PG today. Stunning in appearance.

Perhaps black powdercoat over alum might be lower maintainence than brushed aluminum. Easier to clean? Softer edges? Hopefully powdercoat options still offer the potential benefits of aluminum with grounding.

http://www.sharpconcepts.biz/Products.html

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well, if you want the gold look (I love it, personally) these are easily had for around $20.

13. rubbing your hand across it with callauses will scratch it :(
    though you can easily touch it up.

Maybe a good polishing job and then get it clearcoated... man that would look awsome.

The scrattchs could also be character

14. once again i agree with mike n. i think this guy might be my brother. anodizin is a great way to go. the colors they do are usually red, blue, gold, black and clear which looks brushed. its a hard finish. powdercoatin adds a durable finish as well with more color selections and is baked on so it adds a layer of thickness due to its sprayin and bakin process. our racecar chassis were powdercoated. if it was mine i would get it anodized. good luck, mike.

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Got any pics?

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 on Anodized. Tough finish and would look great. PICS when you do what ever you do please. :)

17. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Here's a pic of my 1st completed project, on a Strat, Mint Green Powder Coat, I will soon have pics of a Black Powder Coated gaurd, on a SunBurst P-Bass :D

Attached Files:

18. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    coming from personal experience of building one for my jazz bass including the control plate I can say this, sandpaper, files, and polishing compound ARE YOUR FRIENDS. I went through alot of filing, sanding and polishing the edges and now they are smooth. Like round never cut you finger on them. the only ones I didnt round are the wholes for the pots, and for the pickup. I prob have a good strong 20-25 man hrs into it. Yeah you cant tell I made it myself theirs a couple of flaws but I am the only one that notices them. and like another poster said it scratchs easy like your standard pick will put a scratch in it without much trouble. I used my old pickguard and control plate as a guide. oh yeah and I made mine out of 1/8 in dimond plate, a little heavey but looks badass.

19. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    A powder-coated aluminum pickguard would be kinda incomplete without a kickstand.

20. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    The P-Bass is done, next project a Jazz.:)

Attached Files: