Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on an Ashdown Electric Blue 180-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Dec 15, 2004.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Share your thoughts/experience on an Ashdown Electric Blue 180-12!!!

Thanx.

2. I used to have it. Great little combo. Decent preamp. Lightweight. Warm sounding. Great for P and J basses because of its midrange emphasis. Decent DI. Inexpensive. British made. Effects loop.

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got the EB180-15, which is basically the same, with a 15" speaker. I think it's great - what angelopb said, basically - lightweight, warm sounding (I run it with the EQ disengaged because it sounds so good "flat"), inexpensive.

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I've got and am still using one. Very happy with it on the whole.

It's nice sounds, warm, not too punchy though.

The sub-octave function is next to useless and gimmicky.

I usually leave the EQ turned off too, happy enough with the tone controls set flat.

5. yeah. the hall mark of a good amp, IMO, is when you can set everything flat and it sounds good. E.Q. should be used sparingly. Though I did use the "deep" button. The octaver is useless.

You can actually buy a tweeter kit for that amp from ashdown for a modest cost, like $20.

And I really dig the handwritten serial numbers and date of manufacture on the back panel, usually somethnig only on high end stuff.