Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Avatar 4x10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Sep 27, 2005.

1. http://avatarspeakers.com/B410 NEO.htm

Wow - I've been reading some of the posts on theese. Where can you actually hear these? Anybody use these? It's rare that any of the "mainline" companies talk about such things as "xmax." But anyway these are specs and not what you actually hear. Good price I am curious about these --

2. Like does anyone have one of these??

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry, can't help. I have an Avatar B212 Neo. Don't worry - you'll get some bites. Lots of folks here have 'em.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I had one, loved it except for it didn't get all my low end (I had the Delta model which they admit doesn't have the low end rumble of the NEO and Pro cabs.

Really well built cabs

5. fraggs5

fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I had the same concerns as you do when I was considering the same thing. I was able to go hear the head i bought (Hartke HA7000 mosfet) but i never heard an avatar before. I went ahead and did it and WOW...she really comes through. Punchy, deep and strong, especially for 10's. Ive heard naysayers about the crossover, but im not a slapper, and dont really play in the highs either. But my little 210 blew away my friend's GK (in BOTH of our opinions.)

Beyond the sound, its light, well constructed and the customer service is impeccable. Dave will take good care of you.

In a word - its unbeatable. Do it. Well, maybe 4 words. :bassist:

Edit: unbeatable for the money

6. Awesome! Yeah it was the Neo that caught my attention. I hate to admit it (don't shoot me!) but I am a tone freak but only to a certain degree. The think I've had to admit is that hardly no one in the audience cares anything about tone -- as long as it sounds somewhat okay, we're good to go, that is, exept for the ocassional bass player who runs up afterwards to shake your and or give you some tips on how to "improve" your playing, etc!! I play in a worship band most often and there were these old people in the front row once who had their fingers in their ears! I think the sound guy was getting harrassed a little too (what else is new?). I guess they just didn't care to much for the awesome tone coming from my Eden 2x10 rig. haha!

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    BUMP!!

I am wating my 410PRO, arriving this week, so let you know :hyper:

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm waiting until they have tolex options before I order a 2x10Pro to go with my 2x15. Same depth and width as the cab so it will sit right on top and be happy.

9. Heh, Ampeg head -- looking at those too!

I'm liking heading into new band land, so after new stuff... upgrading hopefully :)

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My father in law bought an Avatar 410 a few years ago. He loved it. I played through it and was not impressed at all. It didn't have much low end, and "something", I couldn't put my finger on it, was missing from the sound. A few weeks ago, he played through an Ampeg 410 cab on a whim. He went back the next day and bought it and the Avatar is now being used as a practice keyboard cab.

To me, Avatars are what they are. Decent low priced cabs. I know they get raved about here, and the price is certainly right, but I don't think they compare most other brand name cabs.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There are now different drivers available and an improved crossover.

So basically, your talking Apples vs. Oranges.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No argument there at all. It was just my personal experience with the Avatar cabs.

13. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Theyre supposed to be great for the money. Looking into one currently as well. Cant decide between a neo or a kappa pro.

14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I bought a 410 NEO to go with my YBA 200. I like the sound well enough, the cab seems to handle the YBA's massive lows pretty well, too.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I haven't ever heard any Avatar cabs, so you're ahead on me on that.

Just wanted to let newcomers know that there have been some changes lately. :)

16. I only started reading about Avatar in here. I don't think they spend too much on advertizing, or they spend none at all.

17. Nope, they let their customers speak for them. I have a B212 that I like better than my Peavey 410TX. Its a quality product. Its not an XLT or a Goliath III but Avatar makes good stuff. I will buy from them again.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    They are still a smaller company but some ad space on tb here or buy an ad on bass player (though their cabs were reviewed in one issue last year with good responses) wouldn't hurt them at all.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    From what I've heard on talkbass, the Kappa Pro have better low end and still have good punch.

The Neo's are lighter and have less low end.

You want low or light?

20. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Im young, I'll go pro!