Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on becoming an organ donor?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 6, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive just recently signed up to become an organ donor on the Australia Regsitry. That is, if i die in a car accident, i will be cut up and my organs will be transplanted into sick people that need my organs.

Personally i think this is an awsome idea.

Im not saying everyone should do it, but im curious as to why people wouldnt do it. I understand the fact that some religions dont really agree with it, but religion aside, whats stopping some people?

2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    You've got no use for your organs once you're dead. How could you not be willing to give them up in order to help someone else...?

Plus... I have a friend who will die if he doesn't get a lung transplant relatively soon. No fault of his own, he randomly ended up with this rare disease or whatever. He's only 29. I'd rather see him live than watch him die just because not enough people considered the option of donating organs.

But, to each his own. It is your own body after all. But it's such an easy thing to do to possibly help someone immensely.

So yes, I agree with you.
    Leanne

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think part of it is laziness/ignorance.

I haven't signed up to be an organ donor, but once I get home I plan to do it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I carry a donor ID card.

5. Does a Hammond B-3 organ count?
    :D

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you donate it to me - yes. :p

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Unless prohibited by religion, I can't think of ANY good reason NOT to be an organ donor.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    As long as I'm done with them some one else can have them.

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    well, i heard from a doctor that a critical patient who is an organ donor might not get the same quality of care, if his or her survival is already in doubt, if their organs can be harvested and sold. organs are big bucks.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

On the back of my NY drivers license they ask that question of giving organs and i am tottaly up for that if i am dead, let someone else have the chances to keep living.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    HAVE YOU PEOPLE NOT SEEN "THE MEANING OF LIFE"??? they could come for your liver AT ANY TIME!!!!

Actually, I'm signed up as an organ donor too.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    When everbody is resurrected this is going to be very confusing.

"Hey! That's my liver! Give it back!"

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats funny good one :D

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I carry an organ donor card too, I can't think of a single reason why anyone doesn't.

15. :D I got to play a genuine B3 w/Leslie about a month ago. It is a day I will never forget... I have a perverse lust for the Hammond tonewheel sound (especially with a bit of overdrive, and the rotary speaker windup.... mmmmmm).

Oh, I am an organ donor as well, hope my parts help someone someday. My brain probably isn't worth much.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

17. I carry a organ donor card too, and am going to donate my body to science when I'm done with it.

18. I certainly don't need them when i pass so I am a organ donor as stated on the back of my license.

I don't want to start a huge debate, but, if you are in a very serious life threatening accident, is it true that some emergency services will desregard your own life if they don't see it possible for you to survive the scene so that you will pass and they can remove your organs? I know of this to be a rumor, but can any body prove or further acknowledge this to be just a rumor?

19. i'll trade you my spleen for that b-3.
    i don't need this thing anyway.

20. Never heard of that, but that would be illegal. Euthanasia is murder any way you look at it, especially without a living will or advanced directive.

I'm an organ donor as well.

I wouldn't want to donate my body for cadaver research. Imagine some 19 year old college hottie playing with my junk and I'm too dead to enjoy it! :p