Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Bergantino Cabs vs. Accugroove Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I don't have a dealer for either near me in Los Angeles believe it or not. Closest is 1.5 hours away.

Can any of you comnpare them for me?

Thanks guys.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I currently have 2 Berg HT112's and will have have 2 AG Tri112L's on Monday, so I can give you a comparison then. From everything I read and hear I think I may be having some Bergs for sale soon.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey,
    I have two Berg HT112 and I love them, but I'm interested on the Accu Tri112L, too.
    Let's see

Mo'

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Berg cabs can vary depending on whether you're looking at the hi-fi HT series or the vintage NV series. And from what I've read, the Berg twelves have their own kind of vibe. What kind(s) of cabinets do you need?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have had a lot of fun A/B/C ing my Bergantino NV215 with my El Whappo and Whappo, Jr. There are a lot of things that these cabs do in a similar manner. All of them sound very big, full and deep, and all have good high end clarity, but do so in a slightly more laid back manner (not hissy/clanky or overly bright). The Accugrooves do have some higher frequency information (the Berg's 6" driver is pretty flat up to 7 kHz, but rolls off pretty quick beyond that), but on the whole, I think the NV215 has an equal amount of high end information and clarity.

Of the three, the El Whappo has the biggest, deepest lows, the Whappo, Jr. has the most focused low-mid punch, and the NV215 is the tightest across the low end (and also sounds deeper than the Jr.). They each have their own character, but I think that all three are in the general ball park. With tube amps, the NV215 becomes even more tight by comparison, due to its sealed design. The El Whappo moves the most air, obviously. The Jr. is sort of like a blend between the other two, in some ways.

If you will be using SS amps, and you are talking Bergantino, I also have spent some time comparing my HT310's to my big Accugroove cabs. The Whappo's are more full sounding and stay phat on any note on the fingerboard, and the HT310 is more tight, clear, and precise, with a more pronounced, but not harsh, high end. I have only tried the HT322 in a store setting, but it seems to have a bit thicker low mids than the HT310, but perhaps not as much overall clarity and quickness.

Two HT115's are also a phenomenal rig. Take all that you ever liked about the best 1x15's you have heard, add in the excellent Bergantino tweeter, and then raise your expectations by about 25%! The HT115/HT210 is another fantastic combination, but it seems from you prior posts that you'd like a single cab solution.

Accugroove versus Bergantino is an excellent question! Both are truly excellent, and ultimately, I think you need to hear multiple cabs from both makers.

Hope this helps, Tom.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    The HT322 looks nice. I like the speaker combination. Berg's website doesn't show a 310 at all.

I guess from your description I want the Full Phat sound of the Whappo's AND the tight, super punchy low-mids of the Berg. So what'll give me both.

I do not like a "polite" rig. I like feeling feeling the bass and I mean like a punch to the chest and super low. With the Edens I ran an Aphex 204 Aural Exciter w/Big Bottom and it really opened up the low end a lot. It was so punchy and low and clear.

And yes, I am lookign for a single cab solutions WHEN I NEED a cab. I play direct A LOT! The Whappo size is nothing. At 88 lbs. it is 10 lbs. lighter than one of my Eden's and I was taking two but a 9 space Kris Kraft touring rack.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The HT310 is no longer made, but occassionally available.

In all honesty, all of those cabs mentioned are going to be strong performers in both the "full phat" category and the "tight punchy low mids." It's all a matter of degrees and personal preference, at this level.

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Does it count that everytime I see the El Whappo I get wood? :eek: :bag: :rollno: :D

I love the idea of studio flat cab that I can get a traditional sound from by simply adjusting EQ.

Tube pre and SS power is all me.

9. I went for the Berg HT210S over the AG TRI210L for the protability. I'm four hours from the nearest dealer so it wasn't the easiest decision to make... I did make a trip to Toronto to try the Bergs at Club Bass. I was very impressed and tempted by the HT322. Had size not been an issue, it would have been even more difficult to pull the triger.

The Berg is new and very different from my Eden XLT but I love it.

LR

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

How are they different from your ears?

11. Either one you choose you'll be "dancin' with yo-self."

12. To my ears, the Berg is more precise. Every note is thick and even. Kind of reminds me of the first time I went into the studio (20 years back) and the engineer ran my signal through a high-end tube compressor/limiter. I couldn't believe how even and solid everything sounded. I thought that I had a good sound, but in reality I had no idea just how much it lacked.

The Eden is still a very good cab, it's just not as precise and there are notes that just don't project as well. From what I've read about the Accugroove it should be a similar type of sonic revelation. It's a new experience all over for me... very cool indeed!

Hope this helps,
    LR

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I can't comment on the Accugroove cabs as I'v eonly played them in a store with an Aggie DB750, but I made the move from Eden (210XLT+ 115T) to Berg (NV610) abut 6 months ago and I haven't looked back. I played eden cabs for about 5 or 6 years before that and I was always very happy with them. I tried tons of other manufacturers but none of them impressed me to the point where I would give up my Edens.

Then I tried the NV610 and the HT-322 cab. Blew me away. I decided on the 610 as it went better with the tube heads I'm using (trace V6 and V4). It's pretty vintage sounding but it just kills in the punch and clarity departments like no other cab I've tried. Great low end and a smoking slap sound as well, even without a tweeter. It just had better tone all through the frequency spectrum (I play mostly 5ers with a low B or low C#) than the Edens did. I never thought I would say that (or give up my Eden cabs) but it's true. I sold the Edens about 2 weeks after buying the Berg.

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Eden WT-550 with a Bergantino HT112. I really like it. I use it with my upright for big band and combo gigs - the Eden EQ is very handy for getting that upright to sound good. I also use it for my 5 string in a rock and smooth jazz gigs and the Bergie handles the B just fine.

The AG Tri-112 is tempting, but out of my reach.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Another happy Bergantino owner here. from what I hear from others, Accugroove is a bit more polite on the high end than the Bergs, due to the different components used. (Horn vs. textile tweeters)
    The Bergs can get aggressive sounding if I want that, or semi flat and even-which is probably why I stopped shopping around for cabinets awhile back.

Good luck.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My search ended when I got to Bergantino. The Berg's are very clear with a vintage roundness to them. My favorite cab so far is the HT322. It goes low without ever getting boomy and it has the Bergantino crossover which is fabulous. To me, what ever bass I play through a Berg cab sounds just like what I'd expect that particular instrument to sound like.

Also, Roger Sadowsky contracted Jim Bergantino to make a 210 cab with the Sadosky name on it (only available in Japan I believe). That's how much Roger likes Jim's cabinets. They really bring out the best in whatever instrument you play.

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've had 2 Berg HT210 cabinets. I really liked the good low end and smooth highs but they were a fairly loose sounding cabinet when you really drove them. Unfortunately I didn't have both of them at the same time. I suspect that they would have sounded real nice together. I did use one a few times with my SWR Goliath III and they really sounded great together (I turned the SWR horn off).
    I just purchased an El Wappo Jr. and it arrived yesterday. Although I haven't giged out with it yet, first impressions are very good. I'll gig out with it after the break in period and let you know how I think it compares to the Berg's.
    One thing that I do know for sure is that I'm really going to love the 4/8 ohm switch! That alone would sway me to the Accugroove.

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    B.M.,
    I'm very happy with the sound of my Bergs. Don't hesitate to give Jim Bergantino a phone call. He's very upfront about his products. His advice on which models of his cabinets would best suit my needs was right on the money for my situation.

I also agree with the posts that state you can't go wrong with either brand.

I'd recommend that you take your Sad to a shop that carries both brands and put them through their paces. You live in a "Gear Haven" where you can try out a lot of things first-hand that many of us can only read about.

Please also try the Schroeder cabs if possible; I understand they do the aggro-cut thing very well.

Best wishes,
    - Art

19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Believe it or not, no Berg or Accu dealers near me. Mark at AG is going to set me up with an El Whappo to try for a few days.

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cool deal. I'm thinking you won't be sending it back!!! :) :cool:

- Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.