Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Cabinet Design and Effectiveness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Mar 31, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I'm interested in hearing some opinions on different styles of cabinets and speakers.

I've been seeing more and more 12" speakers around over the past few years. What do you think of the 12?

What do you think of a 15" cabinet as a stand alone? I ask this b/c I used to have a 115 Genz Benz that I thought was alright. Does anyone use a single 1x15 cab in their rig, and no other speaker? I imagine a 4x10 would be superior, though I've never owned one.

Would a 2x12 cab be superior to a 4x10?

I realize a lot of this is a matter of preference, but I am really trying to understand how different speakers sizes and configurations handle the sound of the bass.

Thanks!

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There was a thread once which asked what cab you'de use as a stand alone. The overwhelming response was a 4x10.

Personally I disagree. Mainly because most decent 4x10's weigh as much as I do. A good 15 with a horn can cover similar frequencies, can usually go lower, and weighs a lot less.

12's haven't caught on at all here in Oz. I don't know why. So I won't comment on them.

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Not all 12s are the same, just as not all 15s or 10s are the same. All this means is that it's difficult to make a blanket statement that a 2x12 is better than a 4x10 or visa versa.

It all depends on the quality of the components and the design of the cabinet. That's why any given manufacturer may have a better 2x12 than another.

4x10s have been popular due to most 15 cabinets not being very responsive. However, find a great 15 & you may be surprised. 12s have become the happy medium between the 15 & the 10.

Just remember that not all 12s are created equal. I've heard good & I've heard bad, but by in large, they do sound great.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I use on main stage amp a 1x15 ...
    nice sound, i have a 4x10 too... but rather have the 1x15