Thoughts on Carvin Peavey, and Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sevenbass, Feb 16, 2002.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    First off I would like to say hello to all. This is my first post here, but I've read a couple of other post. Out of all the forum I've been on the people here seem to really enjoy the bass and have a-lot of knowledge.

Now for my questions.

I want to move up to a six string and I've narrowed my choices down to the following
    1.Dean Edge q-6
    2.Peavey fury 6
    3.Carvin LB76

I already have a Dean Edge q-4 and like it.I played a Fury 5 string in the store and liked it except for the slopy B string. I never played a carvin but have heard good things about them here.

I don't want this to become a poll by any means, but if any of you have had an experience with any of the above basses please relate them. Good or Bad. Lastly is there any thing that can be done about the B string slop in the peavey. I really like it otherwise. THANKS for your help.
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You could try using a heavier guage B, and rasing the action on the B a bit. Keep in mind though NO B will be as tight as an E. You can't go crazy on a B string, or it will slop.
    I've never tried the Fury, but I tend to like Peavey. I've heard good things about the Dean. I personally don't like carvin, but thats just personal taste. I just don't like their tone.
  3. check out the peavey cirrus 6, you won't even consider the other options.
  4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Very true!

If you can afford a cirrus, that would knock those others out of the park.
  5. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Thanks for all of the help. You are right about the cirrus, thats one that I somehow overlooked:confused: . With the options I would want on the carvin (quilt finish and matching head stock) the cost would be about the same. Thanks for jogging my bad memory.
  6. I owned a Fury 6 for about ten days - and then sold it. I liked the quiet electronics, didn't like the tone much and especially didn't like the B string. At the time I also had an Ibanez SR406 that smoked the Fury in almost all areas - except the preamp was a bit noisy. I liked the neck on the 406 and just loved the tone - it had a fair bit of bite to it.

I got rid of both and now own a Cirrus 6. As far as bang for the buck goes I don't think it can be beat.

7. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    As an owner of a Cirrus 5 (and having played both Carvins and Deans), my vote goes to the Cirrus by a wide margin. (Do a search on "Cirrus" in this forum and you'll find literally hundreds of posts about them - pro and con.

If you're leaning toward the Carvin, be sure that you check out their new XB series. These are 35.25" scale and should alleviate the floppy B problem you mentioned. (The LB76 is a 34" scale and the Cirrus and Dean Custom Edge 5 are 35" scale.)

In any event, good luck!

8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Within the price and quality range you are looking at they are all good choices. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I love the long scale Carvin XB but it would make the bottom string too tight so probably the Dean would be the best choice. I would never recommend anything over a 34" scale for a six string.

You might want to consider a Yamaha TRB-6P. There are still some from the origional production runs around in mint condition. I played one for about a year and I know that they will easily out preform any of the ones you named for about the same price.

If you were going for a 5 string I would pick the Carvin XB first and a Peavey Cirrus second
  9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've owned several Carvin's and they played fine but I do not like the tone. I'm not a fan of Peavy, but to be fair I haven't played the newer models.
    Check out the Pulcinella bass. I'm hearing good things about them. His web site is very good and prices a decent for a custom bass.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just to make things more complicated, I've owned Carvin LB76s and a Peavey TL6, and played the Cirrus 6 at length on several occasions, and I like the Carvins better. As always, mileage varies.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus 6.

Enough said.
  12. are there any major bass dealers, like bass nw or bass central (neither of them deal peavey) that do deal peaveys? I can't seem to find a decent price on a cirrus 6. They have one at a local store, it is redwood/alder (not what I'm looking for) for 2,200!!! that seems a little ridiculous to me, but I don't know the average price on one.
  13. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    That seems way high for a cirrus 6. In the newest monitor mag. they have the List price printed at 2049.99, and thats for walnut, bubinga, and maple. At my local dealer I was quoted $1479.00 for a Claro Walnut cirrus 6. I dont know how this stacks up with other dealers around the country but I thought it was good. They'er right there with carvin and the music mann as far as price goes.( I made sure to say that was as far as price goes. That would have been a nasty can of worms to open.) As far as internet peavey dealers, I think I read in another post that peavey doesent allow theire products to be sold online. I could be wrong though.
  14. I have a Dean Edge Q6 myself and it's a great bass, I really like it, but if you have the money go for the Peavey Cirrus, they rule!!
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i concur
  16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    of the choices you have listed, i would go for the carvin in a heartbeat. (i am highly biased however, as i play an LB75)

however i would suggest you try to find someone in your area who has a carvin that you can play before you order one, to see if you like their tone. its... different.

i am also quite impressed with the deans in this price range. i almost bought an edge Q5 once. they play well and look nice. I just found the tone to be too "tinny" for my taste. i couldt get rid of that metallic sound on it.

I have no experience with the specefic peavey bass you have mentioned, but IMO peavey in general is a good brand, and is way under-rated, respected, and priced. also a good brand.

id try to let your ears be teh judge (difficult with the carvin on yoru plate i know) as the basses you have described, to me, have completely different sounds.
  17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

See Paul Beatty at Prosound on Iliff and Quebec in Denver. He'll deal with you and the tax rate is only 3.8%. That's where I got my Cirrus 5. I know that Prosound doesn't have the best reputation in the city but that particular person is a real nice guy who WILL take care of you. He also does a great setup. Rockley Music Center is VERY overpriced if you ask me.

Get in good with Paul and you can get a good deal when you're ready to do business. Just let him know what kind of time frame you are working with. I never got a chance to try one before I ordered mine. Paul had two different basses brought into the store and he kept them stored away for me until I could decide which one I wanted. That impressed me a lot. One of the basses came directly from Peavey and the other one he located at one of their other stores. The hard part was deciding. Aside from the looks, I couldn't really tell the difference between the two.
  18. I love Carvin basses. I just bought a Dean Edge 4 and couldn't be happier.
  19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I wonder what the OP bought....15 years ago when he started this thread?
    shawshank72 likes this.