Thoughts on Carvin...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Onebassman, Aug 2, 2005.

1. I own a Carvin custom 4 string bass. I love it. It can play the smooth jazz parts as well as any funk you can throw at me. I have'nt seen anything here on Carvin, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyone else love them as much as I do?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you don't see anything on TB about Carvin, you're doing something wrong.... try lookin' around a bit better ;).

3. I'm an old school player, which is only reasonable since I'm old, so Carvins aren't my cup of tea. I have played many over the years, though, and I've always been impressed by their overall quality, quality of the wood, and quality of the hardware and fretwork. I also think the passive instruments sound great. Just my $.02.
  4. I own two and think they're fantastic...they're super versatile and they keep up with instruments that are more expensive.
  5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Carvin ROCKS!!

I just placed an order for my 5th Carvin bass last week.

From the day I received my first one, I sold all my other basses and can't seem to bring myself to buy any other brand. Carvin just feels like "home" to me.
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Paging Mike Goodwin...

Paging Mike Goodwin...

Paging TK65...

Paging TK65...

7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I absolutly LOVE the Carvin neck :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The tone is good, but the body is sort of "plain" and sterile. Fit and finish are great. :D IMHO

And yea,...... there is tons of stuff on Carvin here :confused: :eek:
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    the headstocks r ugly as sin! The bodies are rather plain but comfortable, the BB style is growing on me. The tone is hit or miss and I prefer their passive to active. The fit and finish are top notch, playability and feel second to very few!in retrospect a new Carvin is not the BEST deal out there when you consider you can have a second hand Roscoe or other high end brands for that price but when you pay just about the price you would for a brand new Brice 6 (okay maybe a little more) and you get a second have top of the line Carvin there is really no contest.
  9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I love my carvin lb75f, it has served me well for 5 years now, and I can't say enough about it. IT has a super stable neck, great looks, quality sound, and has proved very reliable.
    Pros/Cons at a glance:

Pros for carvin
    Top notch workmanship
    Great price!
    Incredible number of custom options
    Good (if basic) body shape and design
    Great hardware
    Good (if non-distinctive) sound

Cons for carvin
    4 string headstock looks kind of like an 80's holdover (5 string is nice though)
    Electronics are not particularly distinctive
    Only 2 body shapes available niether of which is very distinctive
    Not great resale value

I think the pro' s way outnumber the cons, but that's for the buyer to decide.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their electronics and set up didint do it for me but i think their Finishes are beautiful.
  11. SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    I've had a LB70-P for a few years now... It's been a great bass. It definitely was the right bass for me for this time in my bass-life. I dont' think anything can really beat them for the price. I'm kind of growing out of it now, The neck is sort of flat.. being an upright player i find necks with a small radius nicer (like fenders)... I think the carvins are very decent instruments for the price... Maybe i'll buy a guitar from them.

(anyone wana buy my lb70-p? :D )
  12. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Keep in mind a used Carvin will sell for 1/2 of what they sell for new. A used Carvin is one of the best deals out there as far as what you get for your money. I would never buy a Carvin new When you can get them mint for a whole lot less. :hyper:
  13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I see a lot of people write this sort of stuff about Carvin but I've only found it to be true about the models with outdated features like the older headstocks, tuners, bridges, etc.

From what I've seen on eBay etc., the used Carvins with the more current features/hardware seem to be holding their value just fine.
  14. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My Carvin B4 (mahog body, all passive) does its job, nothing more. I think the body shape, compared to Fender, is less comfortable. The electronics are not warm enough for my ears.

The first neck on it had a broken truss rod after a month. Sent it back, had to wait another month for them to tell me they couldn't repair it, and they sent me a new neck, which at this point is twisting slightly to the left. So pretty unstable wood. Oh, they forgot to send my tuners back, so had to wait another two days to get those in the mail before I could put my bass back together. And Carvin tuners, to my ears, are unstable anyway.

During that month-long period, I sent a couple emails and called a couple times, never got any truly useful info. Poor, slow customer service. And the kid I got on the phone sounded like he was strung out on heroin.

Other than those issues, Carvins are decent instruments for the money.
  15. Great bang for your buck if you keep it simple.

I have an LB70PF and an BB70P, both of which are incredible instruments in their own right.

I find that I am more inclined to the Bunny Brunel model in comparison to the normal stock instruments, as it provides much better balance.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had an LB76 in PERFECT condition that I couldn't sell depite serious effort, and I ended up settling for almost 50% of the original purchase price. About 5 or 6 years ago, and it was only 2 years old at the time, the same features available currently.

I think the more elaborate options on Carvin basses, the less % of original purchase value you will get out of them. The ones that aren't tricked out 100% are of course cheaper and sell used for less, but the recoupment percentage is better, IME.
  17. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin

Ray, you are a jerk, or at least you acted like one in this reply. This kind of garbage response is rampant on TalkBass and, in my opinion seriously downgrades the quality of the experience here.

The amount of "hey, buddy, you didn't do your homework enough before bothering all the rest of us with your paltry question" activity on this board is the sole reason I'm not a supporting member. I find it to not be a friendly community, generally.

What's the problem here? Do we have a shortage of hard drive space or something? If you can't take a second to answer the guy's question, do us all a favor (mostly me) and don't reply at all.
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You apparently missed his "winky face". Lighten up, not everything translates well in written form. I didn't take it negatively at all . . . but that's me. ;)
  19. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    If it were the only such message I'd ever seen (winky face or not), I wouldn't have said anything...but I read posts like that all the time, and they seem to add no value.
  20. Why thank you Greer. I thought I was the only one who thought that sound kind snobish. But then again, I am new to this forum, so I didn't know any better to say anything. Thanks again!