Thoughts on Dave Matthews..ramblings? *lol*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jan 27, 2004.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    ok, I not a HUGE fan. I only own one CD. But I watched him on Letterman tonight, and I was just thinking..

Is it just me, or does it just seem strange for Dave to go "solo"? He's first in the "Dave Matthews Band" and now he goes solo.. Yea I know they were thought of as a complete band but I don't know..:) Of course its almost 1am so I'm probably thinking too hard on this. *lol* What does everyone else think? I guess thats what I'm getting at :)

Also, is that Trey Anastasio (spelling) playing with him? The guitar player he had looks like him..just curious.
  2. I don't get it...Dave Matthew's Band,to Dave Matthews.

I guess he just changed the band line up?:confused:
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea completely. The only people I recognize was someone I THOUGHT was Trey on guitar.

I'm disappointed. I like watching Carter and whoever the bass player is..*lol* :)
  4. Yeah, it's Trey on guitar and Tim Reynolds on lead guitar.

Dave has recorded a few cd's with Tim acoustically.

Good stuff.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Dave" without that rhythm section, IMO, is DuMB.

You guys shoulda heard Tim Reynolds when he played in some of our local Fusion bands...
    Ay caramba.
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    he has lucinda williams' rythm section. he wanted to do something in a different vein than the DMB. kust like when leroy did his solo album. when they released everyday which was majorly different vibe, the fans bit his head off. i would just do a solo project too. which by the way is very very good.
  7. That guy might have been Tim Reynolds, a seriously kick arse guitarist.
  8. Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Dave Matthews Band music is just drivel, IMO. While all the individual musicians are good, especially the drummer, I find a district lack of musicality in their music. The elements aren't used wisely, there are no peaks and troughs in the music, there is poor articulation in the songs (hey, I want to be launched into the next verse or chorus!), and most of the time it just seems... Random. You can make a song sound good with three chords, however, Dave does not seem to vary the elements enough, eg, add new rhythms with same chords, hang on a chord for one measure, to make it interesting enough for me. I really don't see what the big deal is.
  9. nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I met Tim Reynolds a couple of years ago when a friend opened for him in Durango Colorado.
    He's a dinky little fella!
    (good guitar player though)
  10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento California
    Biiiiiig +1

It's definitely flushable. I can't stand listening to him and his music. It gives me a headache.
  11. GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    My fondest Dave Matthews memory goes back to a few years ago.

There was a new subdivision going up, and this gutter dude was way up in the air on a ladder leaned on the corner of the house. He was messing with the elbow that joins the gutter to the downspout, and screaming

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Okay, I'll say it. Dave Matthews blows. Hard.
  13. nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    whenever Dave Matthews comes up in a conversation around here, someone always brings up when one of his tour busses dumped it poop tank through the grates in a bridge onto a bunch of tourists taking a scenic cruise on the Chicago river.

Man.... how screwed up is that!
  14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow, this thread got raised from the dead huh?

It's funny that I'm the one that posted it and now that I look back at it almost 10 years later, I don't care and I can't imagine why it bothered me enough to post about it. I actually like the "solo" stuff that he put out.
  15. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    check out a documentary called "before the music dies" and i have a cd by DMB called "live at red rocks" real energy.... try playing in a band for 15 years and i bet u'd feel like doing something different after
  16. Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    I was a bit nervous about posting this to be honest (cos, let's face it, apparently he's sold millions of records), but I just don't get it! It's not music. It's some sort of sound wall. Music is when all voices speak to each other. The elements are meant to drop in and out. DMB is like the mono-rail... some sort of never ending loop with nothing significant to say.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My wife made me go see them once. Eh. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Can't say I care either way about what he does.
  18. Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    You mean this: Check around 7.38ish.. Bad musicianship! And then again at 7.52... Seems like some sort of mistake was made. Thought a 'world class band' should be better than this. Big lol moment. Rob Thomas showed how it was done, Incubus.. Well, what can I say? DMB, a big lump of poop over Brooklyn Bridge? He'll yeah!
  19. cnltb

May 28, 2005
    For me DMB has always been about a great drummer making up for somewhat scatchy songs and an immensely annoying violin...
    I do like some of the songs though...
    Their use of odd time signatures helps as well...
  20. Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    And unless I'm deluded, there's some weird timing going on at 10.46 onwards. Anyway, I rest my case. They're random, and that's it.