Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on doubleneck basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Mar 10, 2001.

1. There are many times I need to quickly shift from a 5 string fretted bass to a fretless. I have often thought it would be great to have a doubleneck - fretted on top, fretless on bottom. I would appreciate hearing comments from you as to...

1. How crazy am I for even considering it.

2. If I'm not crazy, what should I consider in a doubleneck?

I would think that after keeping the weight down, balance would be key. How would you structure the electronics?

Being somewhat vertically challenged [​IMG], what style of bass body design should I consider? :)

JT, I welcome your POV on this!

Thanks all,
    Jeff

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    1. you're not crazy at all - doublenecks rule!

2. what to consider? what do you want - approach it the same way as you would a single neck bass - get everything you would want in one of your single basses, x2. also go for some killer graphics - go all out on it.

when i designed my doubleneck, i layed 2 of my single neck basses side by side, and took measurements. i sent bill conklin about 10 or 12 pictures about the doubleneck that i wanted, check this out...

http://lordonly.net/lojtbas32.htm

3. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    Off the subject a bit.......There is a place in Louisville KY called Bass Worrld that has the only Tobias Doubleneck ever made.....It was made by mike himself and has the papers to prove it It looks great but they want $25,000 for it

4. I am very interested in one of these too...didn't rickenbacker make one? (or was it bass + guitar?)

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I wuz wonderin' how much they wanted for that thang.

2nd mortgage? :p

[​IMG]   [​IMG]

I think the Rics were bass+6 or bass+12.
    Had a BEAUTY 4080/12 (4+12) eons ago :( .

[​IMG]

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, ooo, me too. i still have my fireglow '75 4080...

[​IMG]

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    God bless Ms. B ...ya' lucky so & so :D .

What are them extra(?) switches fer near the lower bout?

8. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    That's all cool and stuff, but it's not the only Tobias Doubleneck ever made. I know of at least one other that was made for the illustrious Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap. It was in the shape of a dollar sign with the lines (through the S) extending up to become the necks. Kind of a cool doubleneck!

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey nd

those are individual neck selection switches, so that both necks can be turned off - cuts down on stage noise. the previous owner did the mod, with duct tape instead of soldering :rolleyes: :mad:, so i replaced those switches.

too bad it doesn't have a 5 string bass on it - i'd still play it. maybe.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    they are really wonderful, but i'm afraid to be not enough strong to worth the weight...

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Weight, eh? You could be the first* to get a Rob Allen doubleneck :D .

*(Rob doesn't currently make one. It'd be a cu$tom job)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jeff, since purchasing the Zon from you I have had this same thought several times.

I would love to be able to switch to the punch you get from slapping on a fretted bass for a song or 2, and then go back to the beautiful, mellow tones of the fretless.

I know that Pedulla makes(custom order, but they have CNC templates for it) an MVP/Buzz doubleneck, shouldn't be too hard($$$!:D) to get them to make a Penta out of it.

Or you could call Joe up and see what a downsized Legacy or Sonus body shape would cost in a doubleneck.

Or, give Conklin a call. I am sure he could come up with a cool downsized body style for you, and mount the necks at a little bit of an angle like on the Tobias.

13. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    There was a lot of discussion about this on The Bottom Line recently. Most of the doublenecks are, as you'd surmise bass/guitar (I remember lusting after a Gibson doubleneck in my callow youth).

You'll find that doubleneck fretted/fretless basses would be a custom job. I'd recommend Karl Hoyt for the job, although he's probably already booked up for the year. Still, if he were to take it on, you'd get a damn fine instrument custom made for what you'd pay for some mass-produced boutique basses.

Do a search on Karl Hoyt at your fave search engine for more info.

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This one' nice:
    [​IMG]
    Note that the two are *separable*! And that the fretless (for which you need max dexterity) is on top, and fretted (that accepts more sloppy fretting) is on the bottom. Ergonomically correct. Go french for creativity!!
    More info @ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/leduc/Gb/_index.htm

15. Much as i can completely see the point in double neck basses and guitars and that i can totally appreciate how damned cool they are... they're just too Spinal Tap in my opinion!

Please don't take this as a deroratory comment, the double necks I've seen here RULE and I'd love to have the balls to play one!!!!

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and that's a bad thing? :D

17. "and that's a bad thing?"

Now I didnt say that! - It is almost an embodyment of rock and roll to have a double neck guitar... it goes hand in hand with bottles of JD, and a amp that goes up to 11.