Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thoughts on dp customs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7, Oct 20, 2001.

1. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    im just looking for those of you who own one of his basses opinion on they are because im really intrested in having one made by him so if you can give a small review or reference thanks alot

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This thread has been done to death. Use tha handy little search feature, and you'll get a whole buttload of DP threads (a few started by myself).

There you go. (And I expect JT or Ryan to shut this thing down pretty soon here...)

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    From what i heard, you really should know EXACTLY what you want, down to the last detail before you get one started. There have been a few people who have received theirs with some flaws, but what do you expect with his prices?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    But the only thread containing negative critique was deleted. So all you'll find is praise.

Luis Fabara experienced severe problems with his (frets popped out of the fretboard, the electronics were incorrectly installed), but there's OTOH a great number of buyers who are completely satisfied with Dave's work. Maybe it's hit or miss stuff?

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in all my dealings with custom luthiers, i have never heard of an luthier who's work was _ALWAYS_ perfect, never a problem. what seperates the good luthiers from the bad ones is how they deal with it when they have a problem - how they treat the customer and how they handle the problem.

imo, based on what i know of the situation, dave pushic dealt with it as well as could be wished for. given what i know of luis's situation, as well as others, if i were in the market for an instrument right now, i would definitely give dave a try.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You speak the truth, John. It was just unfortunate that it was Luis' bass that was the bad apple of the bunch, and the great geographical distance complicated the customer service. The geography and thus the extreme shipping costs, and the fact that I with my usual luck probably would get a flawed sample, keep me from trying his services. I would advise anyone outside North America to think twice before ordering something this expensive and subjective from a too distant place - but if you're in the US, you have nothing to lose.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's understandable.