1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on EADGC tuning on 5 string instead/ BEADG

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Jonahly, May 11, 2019.

1. Jonahly

Jonahly

May 11, 2019
    Just like the title states.. what are your thoughts on stringing a 5 string with EADGC instead of BEADG?

2. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I think it's a lot better. I changed my tuning in 2005 to EADGC. Last year I got a six and I expanded on the higher tuning with a F string. My five is on to other things but that's a different story.

I found it opens a lot more doors musically speaking than the low B does.

In addition to having the standard bass range, more melodic and harmonic options are available.

The way I conceptualize it is by sitting at a piano, think about where most Bass lines, Chord voicing and Melodies sit on the keyboard. Then compare what options you'd have available if you had a low B (B0-B2)+(E1-G4) and compare that to what options you'd have if you had a high C (E1-G4)+(C3-C5).

Basically more music is available higher. All while still retaining the normal range of the instrument, it's a standard bass and tenor bass all rolled into one.

Another unintentional byproduct of tuning higher is that pitch shifters work better on higher notes than they do on lower ones. It more natural sounding for me to transpose down to get low B notes than it is for a standard tuned 5 to transpose up to get high c notes.

srayb, caskman and Jonahly like this.
  3. I have two Epiphone EBM5's one BEADG the other EADGC my preference is for the EADGC.

Jonahly likes this.
  4. Jonahly

Jonahly

May 11, 2019
    How is the tension difference?

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    In theory the tension can be identical, no difference at all.

In practice however, not all manufacturer string sets are "balanced" from string to string. So you will have to check the tension chart for the specific string set.

Jonahly likes this.
  6. It really depends on the range you want to play in and/or alternate fingerings they provide.

Jonahly likes this.
  7. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    I found that when playing in a duo setting, with the E-C tuning (on a fretless) you can comp a lot better in jazz and bossa nova songs. You can play more chords as well as have more fun soloing.

thabassmon and Jonahly like this.
  8. Jonahly

Jonahly

May 11, 2019
    Perfect :)