Thoughts on EMG-J set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAD2X, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Hi all, after lots of surfing and calling stores, I think I'm gonna order a set of EMG jazz to fit in my Cort action V. They are pretty much the only thing I can order locally, I dont feel like ordering from the net either.

I would like to get ppl's opinions, I think half the ppl hate them, I still feel like giving them a try though. I dont care about an onboard preamp, I dont want to modify the bass too much and I do all the EQ'ing on my amp. I like that they come with all new pots and easy wiring at such a cheap price.

I wonder if they suit what I play most, heavy metal/rock. I know they are not as good as passive duncuns/barts/dimarzio with a good preamp, but I think they will still beat the hell out of those powersound pickups? The ones are right now are actually 4 strings pickups on a 5 strings.... I think they are the same as in Ibanez GSR 200/205 for reference.

Does anyone have any example of recordings with those pickups? Thanks in advance!
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It's not about what other people think: it's about what YOU think and feel about how they sound. In your bass.
    They are easy to install using all the EMG parts which is nice for non-techies.
    Not as good as X.Y or Z, but you haven't actually tried them in your bass? Pah!

Read this
    as much for the comments on the sound but for the open mided journey into trying them all and seeing what was preferered.
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I really like EMGs and have this set in two of my J basses, a fretted and a fretless. I also have a Jazz with Nordies and a J-Retro, which sounds different to the fretted with EMGs but the basic tone of all three basses is still fundamentally "Jazz bass".

The EMGs produce a really clean uncoloured sound with plenty of output and very little noise. They also seem to me to have a "dynamic" sort of quality with plenty of attack, which makes them good for rock, and the "uncoloured" aspect I referred to means you can dial in a wide range of tones from your amp EQ. They're as good as any pickups you mention in terms of construction quality and operation - the rest is personal preference. I don't have the fretted bass recorded but you can hear a clip of the fretless here. Hope this helps!

EDIT By the way, any hum on the clip is down to the way it was recorded. As I said, in normal operation EMG pickups are very low noise.
  4. Thank you both for your input. I'm still debating wether I want to get those emg's or go for some passive. I'm concerned about the battery life when using emg's, it says 3000 hrs on the website, but for those who use them do you find yourself having to change the batteries to often?
  5. I have a P-bass copy with an EMG-P in it...the battery lasts a very long time...make sure that you use a quality battery and change it on a semi-annual bassis and you'll have no problems at all.
  6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have used EMG active jazz bass pickups in several basses and I love them. They sound essentially like a jazz bass with a more aggresive and modern sounding treble response. The batteries in mine always lasted a long time. I don't think EMG is exagerating when they say 3000hrs.
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have a pair of EMG-J's in one of my basses, and I entirely agree with Bill's assessment. They create almost no drain on the battery at all - so the battery will last a very long time...