Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on F-Bass Alain Caron bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 27, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    A while ago, I saw the new version of the Alain Caron Bass? I like the pickup configuration better, but i don't know about the new finish. Anyone else have an opinion?
    P.S.I got to touch Alain Carons Bass (it was the climax of my bass life)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm selling one at Bass Alone...brand new.

It's a good bass but I wouldn't call it the "King of Fretless Basses" as George does. Not bad but fairly ugly IMO (the red and yellow burst looks *nothing* like a "violin finish") and other basses do the same thing.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi,

I personally think Alain gets the best fretless tone I've heard. For some it's a little too smooth and refined, but it works for me. I have loved almost every F-bass I've touched. I guess a Fodera would be in the same ballpark.;)
    LM

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eww, sounds messy... :meh: ;)

but what's not to like about 'em? killer fretless! looks very cool, too.

Jared,

holy crap man, where the heck do you get the dough for all those incredibly expensive basses? are you actually Rupert Murdoch? :p

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am selling mine too, AC 6 still brand new,1 month old. It a very nice bass and killer tone, but unfortunately 6 strings is not for me, once I sold this , I am ordering 4 strings AC.
    Mine is especially made for me with 34" scale [USD 700 extra].

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    The bass in the Bass Alone site is not Alain Caron 6 but instead a BNF6. The New AC is really Violin colour, with single magnetic pick up and piezo bridge pick up. I got mine with pre amp as well.
    It is really King of the Fretless bass with plenty of attack.

7. I have owned a 6 string A.C. fretless for about a year and have really enjoyed this bass. Mine has the 3 band active circuit, which I would recommend. With the magnetic pickup, the piezo, and the eq there are loads of tones you can get with this bass. If you want to hear sound clips, go to my cd link as listed below.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

J.S.-

It is not on the site yet it just showed up. I ordered it months ago and have played A.C. basses before which is what prompted me to sell it. It has the piezo pickup and the added pre amp as well. It is *not* the king of fretless basses despite George's marketing hype. I know what I bought and what an A.C. bass is like. The violin finish is *not* an actual violin color. The pics on George's site do not look anything like the basses do in person. They are a red/yellow burst color. They look nothing like a violin. Plus the purfling looks like a sticker. Very disappointing IMO. The bass is *good* but for the price it needs to be *great*