Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on Genz-Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    Whats up TBers? I just wanted to get some thoughts on Genz-Benz cabs, please be descriptive about tones if you would. I am especially interested in your thoughts on the GB610T cab.
    Thanks.

2. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    lets expand this to amps as well, the GBE 1200 to be exact.

3. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i'm running the GBE1200, althouugh it's into an ampeg 8x10, not gb cab :(

so far (i've had it for a few months or so, give or take), i'm very impressed with this amp. horsepower to spare, and tonal flexibility better than anything else i've ever played. granted, my amp experience is a little limited, but compared to the carvin(s), ampegs and others i've owned, the GBE1200 is it. it's all there. there isn't a sound, a tone, that i want to find that i can't coax out of the gbe. gritty, OD'ed tubes? yup. clean, clear SS? in there too...

so, in short, i love this amp. it's likely to be my last "main gig rig" amp...

and the abundance of bright blue lights is cool too ;)

4. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    thanks, I also found a previosly existing thread about this amp, have yet to see anything on cabs, just wondering.

5. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    zero experience with their cabs, sorry :(

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I had a 112T for a time, fairly nice cab, expecially for the price. By comparison, I've tried out the Aggie and Eden 112s, and they were better cabs, soundwise and efficiency-wise. I also had a teacher who ran an Eden WT550 through a 4-ohm Genz 410, it sounded very good: deep, even, and thumpy. He has since moved to an Eden 215. My general impression is that they produce very good gear for relatively low cost.

7. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Summerville, SC
    I've been using a Genz Benz 410XB that I purchased 2nd hand for about 5 years now. I use it with a Gallien Krueger 700RB head that I purchased new. I did rewire the cab with a Neutrik jack and a switch so I can use the bi-amp feature on the G-K head which gets me an extra 50 watts to power the horn.

The cabinet has never given a problem, has stood up to rough handling, and still sounds great. Another bass player sat in with us one night (he's got about 20 more years experience than I do) and complimented the cab's tone very highly.