1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Hipshot Ric bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrillhouse, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I am very close to finally taking the plunge and buying a 4003. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Hipshot replacement bridge? How it sounds in comparison to the original (better/worse/different) and in regards to ease of set-up/installation. Basically, what I'm asking is, is it worth swapping the stock for the Hipshot?

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    It sounds no different and it is absolutely worth it. The Ric bridge is very difficult to work with.

3. This.

4. Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Love the Lahey avatar. I am the liquor=my favorite TPB quote.

5. Yes it is worth it ....BUT......I am having trouble getting the bridge saddles to stop moving side to side or up and down depending on how you see it. I have also had to adjust the saddles so that they were even more than once. That's not a big deal just was not expecting it. The movement of the saddles is a big deal and I have it down to only the D string still needing more attention. I sort of think that with more playing the saddles eventually seat themselves in the groove of the bridge. I dunno. :meh:

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll just say this, if you get the Ric set up properly with the Ric bridge, (comes free with the purchase of the bass), it shouldn't need another set up for a long, long time. I've had zero trouble with any of my Ric bridges, ever. Just a thought.

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    This is absolutely true, but that first setup is a pain in the butt and if you get a bad tech the setup could actually get worse. Ric's dual truss rods and horrible bridge design have infuriated more than one tech I know:D

Dan

8. Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll just give the stock bridge a try for a little before I decide to switch. Although, either way, I need to buy the bass first...

9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I suppose pain if you want to call it that is part and parcel of the Rick, ... the Rick demands some amount of effort if you want to set one up. Or as J Hall once told me in an email reply "it's the nature of the beast". But it seems the Hipshot is more a Fender paradigm as to how a 'bridge' or saddle and tailpiece combi should function. The bridge pickup assembly is more effort than your typical screw adjustable height adjustment - more pain than the rick bridge.

I have no problem setting up my Rick. I will say that if you want to Palm mute the Rick doesn't let you. The Ricky neoprene mute, if you adjust it to extremes it falls off and the only way to fix it is to take it apart. Definitely not idiot proof. I don't like the look of the Hipshot though.