1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Hologram Concerts and Their Effect on Modern Music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Jun 12, 2019.

1. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I actually watched a Black Mirror episode with a similar idea, which sparked similar thoughts.

Whereas, turning old as I am turning, I wouldn’t change the energy of a live performance for nothing, new generations would if this concept was to become mainstream. Not need for dead musicians, with this holographic technology living artists could play simultaneous gigs, and even avoid travelling.

We have somehow accepted animation as a legitimate way to entertain us, and also surrendered to drum machines and pseudo-musical creations by DJs, so why not this?

It will come the day (hopefully I don’t get to see it) where the warmth of the sun and the taste of food will also be an anecdote, and we’ll be convinced that artificially-made-everything is what being alive means. In other words... we’d be welcomed into The Matrix.

Morpheus.... don’t be late....

Oddly and Bodeanly like this.
  2. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Just saw Ronnie James Dio last Sunday. I know he’s a great singer although I’m not a big fan of his. I thought the concert was very interesting and the graphics were pretty cool, the band was great. This concert really wasn’t about the band as they were shoved into opposite corners. And it was pretty cool when the bass player was standing next to Ronnie even though the video had a slightly odd aspect to it.
    I have no preconceptions going in and overall I thought it was pretty good.

mmon77, monsterthompson and Bodeanly like this.
  3. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Its technology
    When the first recorded music came out I am sure there were some musicians saying 'This is going to kill live music!' but it didn't
    Holograms are just an addition not a replacement
    I would go and see a show

My old music teacher said that the electric guitar killed music
    He was from the big band era and thought a 3-5 piece band was putting musicians out of work

Bodeanly likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Or maybe at least a boot applied somewhere to its anatomy. ;)

Bodeanly likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    None of the above wasn't a choice...

:D

Bodeanly likes this.
  6. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    it would be trippy as **** to see Zep 3D (whoever you can't see anymore, insert here) taken from one of their best performances live, using their music from that gig, no shadow band
    just sayin'.....

but then again, what is dead should stay dead

or something

Bodeanly likes this.
  7. I'm interested in the Dio hologram tour, but I wouldn't pay top dollar for it, no.

I might go see it if it is like $20 - $30, but any more than that, I will decline.
    Don't want to pay a premium to see a video.

Bodeanly likes this.
  8. I haven't had the opportunity yet, but I'd pay to see a hologram concert under certain conditions:

1. An artist or group that is forever gone.
    2. An artist or group that I am greatly enamored by.
    3. Excellent live musician backing.

For example, in the OP Roy Orbison is mentioned. I'm a huge fan.

Or a group or artist like The Beatles, Elvis, Prince, Michael Jackson.

In other words, a Legend of pop music. And the hologram of the artist and syncopation with the live music had better be damn good.

Bodeanly likes this.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I went to the Zappa hologram show. I wasn't going to, but my drummer talked me into it. At the following rehearsal, he apologized. I somehow found it in my heart to forgive him.

Bodeanly likes this.
  10. GabeOfTheSpring

GabeOfTheSpring

May 3, 2019
    Maybe this is a little too deep, but in my opinion music is so special and it does something with your mind, your emotions, your heart, your soul, etc... it does something to you on the inside, you can feel it. Science has already proven it to a certain extent. So in my opinion, hologram concerts take away that human connection of actually seeing somebody play their instrument and share their music with you in person. Music is considered a "humanities" course in college and I feel like hologram concerts take the human part right out of it. It is kind of like the way social media is taking away the opportunity to have REAL face to face social human interactions if that makes any sense? I just feel like when we get too wrapped up in these technological "advances" we lose so much human connection that makes us who and what we really are.

singlemalt and Bodeanly like this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

How about the next step? Cybernetic surrogates driven by synaptic interface .
    How about a reverse role you are the Rockstar and the audience is virtual?

Bodeanly likes this.
  12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I enjoy Dio, but the tour idea doesn’t move me. I’m assuming the price is comparable to concert ticket, and the experience is comparable to a movie with live backing (not counting planned backing tracks).

In general:
    It’s a form of entertainment. It’s probably enticing to some, but not to all. Some may see it as an attempt to recreate something that can’t be recreated. I think it’s some of that but also a new form of entertainment, in and of itself. It may appeal to a generation or demographic I’m not a part of. I wouldn’t spend money on it, but am not surprised there are people who would.

I am going to see the Static X tour with original members and a live fill-in for Wayne, who will wear a Wayne tribute mask. I’m curious how that will go. I’m pretty sure the band (and backing tracks) will sound great and that they got an appropriate singer (guessing Edsel Dope) who will sound and act the part.

Bodeanly likes this.
  13. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    But life's not binary!

Bodeanly likes this.
  14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no freaking way with this hologram b.s.

Bodeanly likes this.
  15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I can imagine the stuff Pink Floyd would have done with this technology if it had been available. That would be more interesting to use it as part of a stage show than just hologram of dead rock stars.

[​IMG]

nbsipics, bassrique, Charlzm and 2 others like this.
  16. The instrument has yet to be made that can measure my indifference to the idea of hologram concerts.

Charlzm and Bodeanly like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not something I would pay to see, but if anyone wants to hire me for a tour, I'm there if the money is!

18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Now THAT was hilarious!

Bodeanly likes this.
  19. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Cheesy as hell, if you ask me. And helps to further devalue live music.

Charlzm and Bodeanly like this.
  20. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I’ve been to the Carter/Cash family barbecue twice... If I go again I’ll be sure to ask their opinion.

two fingers and Bodeanly like this.