1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Hologram Concerts and Their Effect on Modern Music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Jun 12, 2019.

1. I would rather Look at 360 music content in a VR headset.

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It sounds like you must have been to one of my gigs, which is weird since no one else has.
    I know, right?!

JimmyM, Oddly and Charlzm like this.
  3. I am for anything that gets Scott Thunes playing Zappa tunes “live” - well, Scott is live, FZ not so much.

Bodeanly and bassrique like this.
  4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    How about selling a streaming video on Amazon of the hologram concert! :laugh: :roflmao:

Bodeanly and Son of Wobble like this.
  5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Don’t laugh. When I heard about BoilerRoom streaming DJ sets, I thought that was ludicrous. Yet here I am and there they are.

redwingxix and Bodeanly like this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    LOL - This! So I can Tivo it and get to it later.

7. You're storing your canned biscuits wrong! ;)

I shudder to think what Mr. Cobain would have thought of corporate music cashing in on his likeness, post mortem, considering his not too subtle views while he was alive.

I apologize for only reading through page 2, before commenting. I will read through the rest when I get home.

Bodeanly likes this.
  8. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    But it would mean they'd be able to Jerry Bruckheimer / Michael Bay the heck out of the band smashing up their gear, for the finale.

9. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Don’t know the price of a ticket as someone took me there. It’s interesting to equated to a movie, I think that’s pretty close.

Bodeanly and monsterthompson like this.
  10. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for it, but I'd bet the companies behind the holograms are working out how to have their "entertainers" be dynamic - do unique things on stage, interact with fans, interact with other virtual "entertainers", and much more.

We'll cross the Uncanny Valley here pretty quick.

nbsipics, Bodeanly and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Paycheck this or that to me personally it doesn’t matter Im a fan of MUSIC. I’d jump at the chance to play bass to those ICONS. Money comes and goes music lasts forever.

redwingxix and Bodeanly like this.
  12. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    One effect this will have on modern music is people setting up legal protections as much as possible to prevent this from happening, or ensure it will happen, after their death.

I think it's ghoulish, super lame, but harmless.

I also suspect that many people have a negative reaction, and the "backlash" will make LIVE music more appreciated. So perhaps it's a good thing in the end.

Bodeanly likes this.
  13. Question: How do these things work? Is there glass that is projected on?

Bodeanly likes this.
  14. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    A side of me thinks that it’s essentially flogging a corpse to extract cash. But there must be a demand for it, so some people must like it. And it’s keeping ancillary folks like the OP employed.

Bodeanly likes this.
  15. How about something goofier. Instead of holograms, how about something like The Hall of Presidents.
    The Hall of Presidents - Wikipedia
    Animatronics! :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Bodeanly and two fingers like this.
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    It's like Christmas with so many @Bodeanly posts to enjoy.

As for holograms, I thought Tupak's was pretty persuasive in the context of performance.
    Adding a live singer for a duet bridges the gap between live and Memorex, as well

DJ Bebop and Bodeanly like this.
  19. Here's my thoughts: NO. The end.

DJ Bebop, Bodeanly and p12bassnut like this.
  20. Methaneman

Methaneman Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Chicago suburbs
    Not interested. Big Dio fan and was a sad day when he passed away, but I don't think it would do him justice. I think a tribute band would be much better.

DJ Bebop and Bodeanly like this.