1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Hologram Concerts and Their Effect on Modern Music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    You're right, the stage is set for the most awesome auto-destruct finale of all time. I like how you think! :woot::thumbsup:

Wood and Wire and Bodeanly like this.
  2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Exactly like this:

hologram.

I swear I was on my best behavior, with the best intentions!

3. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    I guess that the only holograms I'd like to see would be.
    The Who (1975 or so) Pete in the white jump suit era. You had to see them back then live. It was awesome.
    The Stones- Jumping Jack Flash era with Brian.
    Zep - mid seventies with the sound moderated a bit. I was sick after that show. Row 6 in front of Jimmy mountain of speakers, no ear plugs. I was young and immortal.

Bodeanly and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    It creeps me out. Please don’t tell me Paul and Ringo are in negotiations to perform with John and George holograms.

5. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i like concerts on dvds ... big screen , couple thousand watts in living room

can drink/smoke whatever i want ... bathroom is close and clean = Pause button ..!!

i've been to craploads of shows starting in the 70's ... some i actually remember !??!

at 62 , concert night at home seems just fine ...

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Actually, I've always wanted to see Silver Beatles with Pete Best and Stu Sutcliffe... Sounds like it's on!

7. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

Not a hologram but it's a pretty cool show to watch because of "the band."

8. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    If you need holograms to make your concert experience worth it, you’re listening to crap.

9. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    While not belittling the very considerable skills of many who play in them, in terms of personal value I think the holo shows are several steps below tribute bands. I could maybe, barely see it as ok as a sort of testimonial event to raise money for a widow or family left over. Maybe.

But I look to the future. The music stars of tomorrow (I'm an old fart so I have no dog in this hunt) have a tough enough job already. They don't need it tougher by having to compete with Holo shows. I wanna see and hear the next Hendrix, Aretha, Ella, and so on.

As a personal perspective, every time Zappa (one of my musical heroes) played out here I wasn't able to attend and just thought "Next tour for sure". Well there came a time when there wasn't and never will be a "next tour". I feel that loss. But I still don't want to see the FZ Holo show.

Bodeanly likes this.
  10. A number of people have commented that they would rather watch video footage of an original concert. That's not the same though. Professionally recorded concert footage gives you views from multiple great vantage points often including on stage cameras, and top quality sound. At a holographic performance you get to see the stage from a great distance, surrounded by people filming the whole thing with their phones and *singing along*. The mix will be either great or not so great depending on where you are. Usually you get a better view of the performers by watching the big screens at the sides. You just can't match that experience with a pro recorded video of a concert.;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Bodeanly likes this.
  11. I don't think I listen to crap music.
    Having said that, this kinda made me sad :(

12. I don't think I listen to crap music?
    Having said that, this made me kinda sad :(

For me, I wish they would just have the band and various guitarist sitting in.
    Like the Experience Hendrix tour.
    I saw Frank live a few times. I don't need this.
    But, that's just me :)

Bodeanly likes this.
  13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I took my mother to an Elvis show. Elvis is dead but the band was pretty much his original backing group, although several have since died. Elvis was represented as a large projection. If there had not been many original backing band members I would not have gone, though.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    No.
    I do not think that I'd pay to go see a Hologram concert.
    The idea alone is a very strange and uncomfortable thing to me.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

DJ Bebop, Bodeanly and knumbskull like this.
  16. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I would like to see one just for the hell of it. Having Elvis sing with his daughter was cool. Or John show up to sing a song with Paul. Something like that would be great. But an entire concert? Man you would really have to be a fan...

DJ Bebop and Bodeanly like this.
  17. bassbones2

bassbones2 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Nicholasville Kentucky
    Going to see a Zappa Holo show when Zappa was all about the “moment” and creating something different every night seems crazy to me. BUT.......thinking of the future.....imagine having a party in your backyard and renting the “Holo3000” machine and having a early 70’s “The Who” playing at your party sounds pretty cool. I won’t go to a holo show....but please perfect and develop the technology for my future backyard entertainment.

JB

18. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My only issue is that in order to create the hologram, a necromancer has to imprison a shard of the deceased soul, which prevents the soul from crossing over, locking them in a prison of eternal torment forever.

Charlzm, DJ Bebop, Bodeanly and 3 others like this.
  19. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    So what? True artists suffer for their music, right?:roflmao:

20. They sign that piece away in their original contract, anyway. It's just part of the deal.

DJ Bebop, Bodeanly and ThinCrappyTone like this.